Run Seagate external drive with eee Linux?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katcelata, Aug 19, 2008.

1. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

I have an Asus eee 4gb surf I am just getting to know. It runs Linux. I bought a 60gb 2.0 Seagate portable drive that I wish to connect to it. I checked the drive on my Vaio with XP, and it seems to be fine. The eee doesn't detect it, and doesn't have all sorts of nice places for me to go to find new hardware etc- I assume that I need to download a driver- however Seagate doesn't appear to support Linux. Users on the Linux and eee forums I checked previously seem to be happily running their seagates. I tried doing a search and just don't have the heart or time to plow through thousands of web pages trying to find an answer- anyone here know? I would sure prefer not to have to load XP on the eee (god, that almost SINGS, doesn't it?) Looking forward to learning this from you all!
    Thanks! kat:confused

2. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

Cancel this ladies and gents- it's become a totally different problem- the drive I bought, on Ebay is a Momentus internal drive mounted by the third party vendor in an external case- I spoke w/Seagate, took the drive out- there is no life. Seagate is not surprised, and I'm sure you won't be either- definitely a DOA. So, the upshot is, I tried for a quick fix, when if I had just waited for payday, for 30 dollars more, I could have bought (and will buy) the portable drive, at MUCH HIGHER GB that is made to do the job- marry in haste, repent at leisure.:(

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'll just mention this to keep in mind when you get the external drive. For some reason, the eeepc's left USB port seems to be the best slot to plug in external hard drives and burners.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds