rundll32 taking loads of memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by dideyjohn@yahoo.com, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dideyjohn@yahoo.com

dideyjohn@yahoo.com Private E-2

I have this programs running sometimes and it is taking 1/2 of my ram memory at one time. WHat can I do? Also, is it common to be using 400KB of memory when I just start my computer and haven't opened any programs?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

diddey,

I normally don't like "page slapping" but the process for determining the source of this memory usage is well laid out at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-rundll32exe-and-why-is-it-running/

But do not use msconfig, as described in the article, to manage the startup process.

If you post the full command line for that process here, I'm sure you'll get the help you need.

Also, what OS are you using, what anti virus? Have you run any virus scans? If you boot into safe mode, is this process still running?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds