running 2 hdd's and getting errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, May 1, 2005.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

ok heres the thing i just got this old hdd from a surplus store for $5 its only 2gigs but i would like to use it to store things but when i hook it up to my pc i get a error saying insurt a boot disk? and other times it says that that hdd has failed? whats going on and its not bad because that happens with every hdd i try to add too it whats going on?

BTW: what i would like to do is use that hdd (the 2gig one) as my windows disk and use my 40gig for files that way if i ever get a virus it will stay out of windows and i wont have to format or anything like that because its bad to have to reinstall windows let alone trying to update once again on dialup[​IMG]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you have jumpers set correct on the HDs if your running two from same IDE cabble one must be Master ( OS drive ) and other Slave.

Does your Bios recoginse the drive?

IDE cable maybe faulty... try another one?

Also what OS you using? if XP then a 2gb drive wont be enough space as XP does use a fair amount of HD space ( my windows dir is way over 2gb and thats without counting the Programs folder )

3. N5638J

N5638J Guest

jumpers are set right IDE cable is just fine Bios says it is bad so i put in yet another drive and it worked just fine but when i restarted it gave me the same error "insort a system disk" why would it be doing this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds