running 7200 rpm HD on 5400 rpm system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SCNOOGLE5, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SCNOOGLE5

SCNOOGLE5 Private E-2

I think I goofed

Have a Lenovo G555 laptop that runs HD at 5400 rpm & bought a larger HD that runs at 7200 rpm. Installed & only 103 of 500 gb shows. Can I get more gigs out of it & if not, will running it damage my computer?

Appreciate some help, Mike

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The system doesn't have anything to do with the RPM's of the HDD. A 7200 RPM drive should work fine in your system.

What size was the old drive? According to Lenovo, the G555 will handle up to a 500gig HDD.

Did you buy the HDD New or Used?

If you go to the Disk Manager, check to see if the whole HDD is partitioned. There is probably some unpartitioned space on the drive.

3. Trashcat1

Trashcat1 Private E-2

Generally, speeds of hard drives will not be recognized by an operating system. You will just notice a read/write difference (maybe not a significant difference going from 5400 to 7200 RPM)

How did you install your operating system? Did you use a windows installation disc, or did you create an image of your previous Hard Drive? Just like Shnerdly suggested, go into your disk manager by Right Clicking on "my computer" and going to "manage." Then, click on Disk Management. Your hard drive should have a partition that has 103GB, as well as some "Unallocated space."

If not, let us know. There might be a problem with your drive that you should consider returning.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds