Running executables in the Windows Temp folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by trepsin, Feb 11, 2011.

1. trepsin

trepsin Private E-2

Hi, I'm not a programmer so not terribly familiar with best practices for Windows programming. But what I am trying to do is vet a software program. And what I'm trying to find out is if there are any concerns with an executable running in the Windows Temp folder with administrative privileges.

This program puts agents on remote workstations. It creates the executable in the Temp folder and then runs it.

Now my understanding is that the default set up for the Temp folder is to restrict access (Windows XP, Vista) for local users. Would another installed program such as malware be able to manipulate the agent program to run at elevated privileges? What would prevent that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds