Running Online Armor Firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by ninjagaiden, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden Private E-2

I'm setting up Online Armor Firewall and it found a few programs that I am not certain what they are. Can someone tell me what OVT scanner is? Should I keep it? I also have something called QuikLock.exe under my utilities. What is it, and do I need it? Is it by any chance harmful? The last unknown thing I have is something called Art Explosion that has a portfolio browser. Is this some sort of malware?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OVT (OmniVision Technology) is a company that makes hardware (and software for the hardware) like web cams and surveillance type stuff. So, you may have their software installed if you have a webcam, digital camera, hand-cam, etc. I would assume the software is OK.
    QuikLock is an app from MCD software. I couldn't find out much about it except that it comes pre-installed on some new laptops. I think it's an app for quickly locking your PC from being used by people you don't want using it. Like if your using your laptop at work and you have to leave real fast, you'd hit a hotkey combbp and lock up the PC from intruders. However, there are several 'QuickLock' apps, it depends on how it's spelled. There's "QuikLock" how you spelled it.; there's "QuickLock" the normal spelling; there's "QuikLok" and "QwikLock" and several combinations of these different spellings. it is listed as 'Unknown' at the Online Armor site (link: http://www.tallemu.com/oasis2/product/mcd/quicklock/48776).
    Art Explosion is a clip art portfolio. Link: http://www.hallogram.com/artexplosion/index.html#600
    All of the above seem safe to me. If in doubt, scan each one individually with your antivirus software. I found all the above with 5 minutes of Googling. About 20 minutes of Googling should answer all your questions, and the Online Armor web site is an EXCELLENT resource. They really have good product support (IMHO). Click this link for the Online Armor support forum.
    I hope this helps!

[dlb]

3. ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden Private E-2

Thanks for the info. Starting up the Online Armor, it is questioning a lot of the startup processes I have. All of the processes I am not sure about are .exe files. They are for programs I use, but I don't know if they should necessarily run at the computer startup like HPconfig.exe and HPwirelessMgr.exe are HP software. Matlabserver.exe is for Matlab, a programming tool I use, but I see no point to it starting at start up, should I just block it or delete it? I included a screenshot for your reference. Also, many of these processes are described as non-critical processes by processlibrary.com and they recommend to run a free system scan to see about any other .exe related errors. Is this a legitimate scan, or am I likely to get some sort of malware from this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  4. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

If you block the program with the firewall you won't be able to use it again until you unblock it, so if it's software you use, do allow with your firewall.....if you want to control what applications are running at start-up, you need to use a tool such as start up CPL

I wouldn't bother using their scanner, no. It doesn't do anything that your own apps don't do.

5. Doc13%

Description

...you say you USE it, so no do not block or delete it :) Just use a start up manager to knock it off running at start up every time...

Here's what I personally use:
    Start up CPL
    If you need any help using it, just ask, one of us will assist you

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. Doc13%

I see you have CALMAIN.exe blocked too

So again...if you do use it, do NOT block the application with your firewall, simply use the start up program to stop it running each time you boot up.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds