Rving...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Caliban, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Don't know if any of you guys go the RV / camping route, but my Lady and I have been exploring it regularly lately. There's a lot to be said for setting up in the wild, minimum attachments to civilization, and just enjoying the simpler side of life.

We got a sweet deal on this Class A: it's a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 33V, gas-powered Ford Triton V-10. She's got a few nicks and bruises, but altogether she's a classy gal...

We named her 'Bluebird'. :)

Attached Files:

Eldon, DavidGP and dr.moriarty like this.
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No exactly roughing it are you.

Caliban likes this.
  3. Caliban

Hey Tim.

Haha, nooo - not exactly. 3-burner gas range, gas oven, microwave, fridge, queen bed + full pullout sofa, 2 AC units, flatscreen, tub / shower. All the bells and whistles.

Maybe in my younger days I might have considered a bedroll and bag on the cold hard ground. Maybe. ;)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you park where you can get WiFi?

5. Caliban

Yes, usually. We've been doing mostly state and national parks, and every one has had very good service.

Most KOAs offer service now too - we're thinking about taking an extended trip cross-country soon, and mapping hotspot locations will be a priority.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol...that looks plenty roughing it to me!

Nice Caliban. I've heard people have a great time traveling in those. :)

Caliban likes this.
  7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like fun, hotel room on wheels. Probably no maid service, but I guess you got to spend a little more for that! :)

Caliban likes this.
  8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

The wife and I started camping in March (spring) the year we got married. Stayed at it till the first weekend of October. Finally moved in to a SilverStream with an added on living room Sat/Sun . Wednesday was when Opal hit Panama City. That close to still being outside. We had fun. Would fish and cook on a fire. I would wade out and get oysters and broil on a fire. Still paid all our regular bills and insurance and such. She has said it was the most fun she ever had!

Caliban likes this.
  9. Caliban

Lady L, we thoroughly enjoy it. We tend to focus less on everyday, mundane crap - and more on each other ! :)

IM, we are novices at this - but we're enjoying the hell out of learning the nuances !

Fred, trust me: I pay dearly ! ;)

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

No worry of bed bugs, no maids looking through your suitcase, no creepy worries about what might be on the bedspread:eek:, no germs but your own to worry about, no high price room service, no check in time, no check out time..... I think I might like it.;)

Caliban likes this.
  11. Caliban

Kat, we did have an issue with ants on our last trip. Tiny sugar ants, looking for water. Not really a problem, but bothersome.

But, hey - the pros FAR outweigh the cons !!

12. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Looks like a really good rig Caliban. Hmmmm.... the two a/c got my attention :cool:
    I like the idea of being able to stay as long as you like somewhere then have no problems moving when you want a change of scenery.
    Here in Australia many retirees take up this lifestyle living in campervans, caravans and converted greyhound busses.
    Over here they have a name and they are called "the grey nomads" .;)

Caliban and DavidGP like this.
  13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

In the UK folk go caravaning! But I love your RV and the nice touch of the mat by the steps, very civilised.

Caliban likes this.
  14. Caliban

Thanks David. My better half would throw me out if I didn't wipe my feet at least once or twice a day...;)
    Wow - that conjures up visuals of the Mad Max movies. Yikes !! :)

DavidGP likes this.
  15. joffa

Hey Caliban here is the catch cry of the grey nomads
    [​IMG]
    and there are books on the subject
    [​IMG]

and some of the places are beautiful like Brighton in South Australia.

[​IMG]

This is the link for the caravan park in the picture.
    https://www.brightoncaravanpark.com.au/

DavidGP, Eldon and Caliban like this.
  16. Caliban

HAHA !! "Adventure before Dementia" -- I can certainly commiserate with that !

Nice link, Joffa - thanks. We tend to try to find a little more seclusion than illustrated, but I have to say that the people we have met while traveling are invariably some of the friendliest, most helpful folk we've ever encountered.

joffa likes this.
  17. joffa

How is this for secluded.... it's in the middle of nowhere near Carnarvon Blowholes in Western Australia
    [​IMG]
    or this on the Yorke Peninsula in Queensland which is nearly at the end of Australia
    [​IMG]

Caliban and Eldon like this.
  18. Caliban

Love it. That's what we're talkin' about. If I want to run around nekkid in the wilderness, I sure don't want any nosy neighbors !! :p

19. LauraR

[​IMG] NOW we know the reason for the RV.

;)

Caliban likes this.
  20. Caliban

Lends new meaning to the words "Primitive antique"...:p

21. Caliban

Greetings all. Hope everyone is well and happy.

We recently upgraded our RV, traded for a 2004 Four Winds Windsport 36Z. Much nicer coach: 3 feet longer than the older one, bath-and-a-half floor plan, washer/dryer combo. Working out all the kinks / learning the nuances of the new systems - we're planning to trek to Key West first (probably the end of Feb / first of March), then maybe to New Orleans. I'm in the process of writing a website / blog for news, pictures, reviews of restaurants & campsites along the way - will post a link as soon as it's up and running.

Wish us luck !!

Attached Files:

LauraR and Eldon like this.
  22. LauraR

Wow. That looks fancy! Have fun traveling and in Key West. Stay away from the Garden of Eden when you're there... jus'sayin' :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds