rw quality

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

this is from my recent thread which was closed :

'Say, for example, i go out and buy a dvd, when i get it home someone else in my family says they want it but cant be bothered to buy it.

Now if i was to copy it onto another disk for them, would the quality be the same as the original dvd or would it be worse?'

And this was a reply from Halo:
    'Even if this is a hypothetical situation, it borders on copyright issues and I'm afraid Majorgeeks do not allow topics of this nature... Sorry topic closed '

Im sory but i didnt know i couldnt post things like this on here so please dont close this one.

Now heres what i want to know:

1. So can i only burn films and such that i have downloaded?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

As I recall, this was answered in the thread alluded to ...or in many others of a similar nature ...I.E. if you are copying for personal use (say a backup in case the original is damaged) and you are not using the copy for financial gain, etc. then yes.

3. Anon-125cdb8a9b

yes, i wont be using the copy for financial gain.

However what would the quality be like, if it was perfect on screen, how would it look on disc?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Would depend on the software used to copy .....experiment.

5. Anon-125cdb8a9b

i think ill be using nero, does that help?

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

I'm not sure that i can get into this with you, so i'm just going to explain a couple of things and be gone. First of all, dvds are larger than what will fit on a standard blank dvd so you need to Shrink them. But a lot of DVDs have encryption on them and will not allow you to copy them straight over, so you need a Decrypter. Once you have shrunk the dvd you can choose to back it up to your hdd and it's stored as an .iso file. From there you can open nero > burn image to disk > select the .iso you created > and burn the dvd. That's it. Simple right? Make sure that when you use your shrinking software that you check the quality and it's set on highest. It shouldn't make any difference cause it'll be just as good as the movie anyway. Hope this helps and you can figure it out.

Also i don't think this is piracy cause he is just making a legal backup archived copy of the dvd that he has purchased. Just don't forget to tell people that otherwise they think you're pirating stuff!

7. Anon-125cdb8a9b

ok thanks i think i get that, are the decrypter and shrinking software free?

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Even if you wont be using a film downloaded of the internet for personal gain this route is also illegal as their are not many freely available films that you can download that are not subject to copyright laws.

You can as TimW and Padams have mentioned are able to make a copy of a DVD or disk you have bought, but for personal use only, but thats not what you alluded to in that other locked thread and not were your leading to with the "i have Downloaded" statment above.

Tread carefully with your questions on this, while other forums will openly discuss downloading and copying DVDs, Majorgeeks is a business first and foremost and not a hobby website/forum like many others, plus Tim and Jims ( the owners ) source of income too, so we do follow legal boarderline questions closely as they can attract the legal arms of many companies.

9. Anon-125cdb8a9b

ok then sorry

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

As owner, I need to step in. As far as I know, making a copy of a DVD you own for backup is legal. If it is not your, or you downloaded it, you have broken the law, so we cant help there so it does not come back on us. Hope that clarifies it.

11. Anon-125cdb8a9b

ok thanks, sorry

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No problem, it happens occasionally here, we just let our stand be known. We never said we were saints, but to allow information to be posted that could be used for illegal purposes leaves a small chance that someone would come after us for having that info posted :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds