Sabayon 3.4e Portage Config file update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hi all,

I have a Sabayon 3.4e box. Whenever I use emerge to install a package, I am warned that I need to update a config file in /etc. Reading a bit, I found I could find all the config files that required updating by running the command:

Code:
    find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
    However, I haven't found anything relating to what needs to be updated and how. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Milty

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just use:

etc-update

Needs root privs.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahh, perfect!

Thanks much! Easier than I expected!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Took me a bit to remember, I've been on Arch so long. I love Sabayon, but the 'Gentoo' way of doing things really could be made simpler.

I don't have to do that in Arch. Ever.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What happens with your config files when you merge a package, then?

I can't see why it would be so difficult to take file protection off, and make a quick backup of any files to be changed, but what do I know? (Except maybe in a business environment where even the time to restore a backup down is too long)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Everything is done for me. It could have more to do with that I'm using a binary distro, in that I usually don't have to compile things from source. When I do, I can build myself a pkgbuild and make a binary package from source.

That was one of my gripes too, was the problem with installing from source in Sabayon/Gentoo takes sooo long. Open Office took me ~45 minutes to install not including dl time. On Arch--5 minutes tops from download to finish.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds