1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sacrilege----USA bans Vegemite ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

That is a bit weird, as 'Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that occurs naturally in food. Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate that is found in supplements and added to fortified foods. '

But then, I'm only an Ex-Industrial Chemist and Nurse, so whaddo I know? :p

Vegemite, along with Marmite and such, is just a Brewer’s Yeast byproduct.
  3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

They won't eat our vegemite, I won't eat any more of their food.....hang on,
    that means no more Mcdonalds or KFC!

Better scrap that idea...I'll think of something else. lol
  4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

It must be something Vegemite does to the brain, everytime I visit the great land of Oz someone tries to peddle that God awful paste off on me..........Yuckers That stuff to the rest of the world is the most horrible tasting stuff we can imagine, I could make some graphical comparisons, but good manners prevent me. Must be something in the Oz water, or maybe just that the parents had to eat it as kids so they tell there kids it tastes great.

Wish I could get a loyal franchise of followers though like the Vegemite people have with you Aussie's, even the mighty Ketchup doesn't come close to the unwavering support here that your Vegemite does in Oz, but I guess it's like trying to figure out why bugs fly into an open flame.

Now no poison pen letters please, I love my friends from Oz, just do not understand your love of Vegemite, and yes I have tasted it (unfortunately):p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :rolleyes: :D
  5. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

It sounds like some kind of bug....wasn't there a bug called a Vegemite in a video game a few years back?
  6. brksta

brksta Corporal

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Cute brksta but even that sweet smile face of yours will not get this Canuck to eat the stuff..............Oh yea, the darn stuff is available here in Canada Yuckers
  8. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Maybe this is the reason why it is banned? Because it is simply disgusting? [​IMG]

If it tastes anything like Marmite... Then I think there are other deliciousies from Australia I'd rather try! :D
  9. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

ABSOLUTLEY SHOCKING NEWS. How can you not like vegemite BC:) . Can't beat the stuff on toast. Apperently the reason is that the US has a law that the only food stuffs that can contain folate are bread and cereal, laws been around for a while but they are cracking down more now(vegemite use is just getting out of contol:eek: ). They even stopped an Aussie at the Canadian/US border and confiscated his Vegemite
  10. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I think Marmite/Vegemite are one and the same Solange, but my friends from OZ disagree, and I totally agree with your take:) :D
  11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Well don't worry mate, last time I looked on our Canadian Supermarket store shelves you Aussie's and Limie's can get either Vegemite or Marmite, but that's simply because us Canucks are friendly folks, not because we like the stuff:p :p :p :D
  12. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I've never seen it in stores, didn't know they ever sold it over here. I haven't tried it, so can't criticize it, but tastes and opinions seem sharply divided.
  13. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

You have'nt lived till you've tried vegemite GT! (love it or hate it)

I must admit that it is an aquired taste though..sorta like red wine.

As Phantom said, its made from a brewers yeast by-product.
    That's good enough for me:mad:

Too much, can have this sort of effect on you though:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

@brksta...nice one
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  14. Phantom

Vegemite IS quiet salty, maybe why some don't like it.

I was originally raised on Marmite, (*gasp!, horror!), in the U.K. But I prefer Vegemite (usually), nowadays. ;)
  15. Kodo

I can't get past the name much less imagine eating it.. :p gimme butter and grape JAM on toast any day! :D
  16. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Isnt Vegemite a type of Pokemon? ;)
  17. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Oh Gawd, not the age divide too!

I wouldn't mind trying it, I like salty, but doesn't look like I'll get the chance. As I understand it isn't folic acid an absolute requirement for ladies that are pregnent?
  18. Phantom

"Grape jam" sounds too much like "door jam", or "toe jam" to us - and tastes about as appealing. :D :p
  19. IH8GWB

IH8GWB Private E-2

from what i hear is no food but bread can contain folate in the US
  20. abri

abri MajorGeek

I think it must be an acquired taste you gain when you are still in infancy. After that all hope is lost. All of BC's red faces express my sentiments adequately!