Safe Mode asks for Admin password?

Discussion in 'Software' started by silverandcold, Feb 2, 2009.

1. silverandcold

silverandcold Private E-2

When I try to boot my PC is Safe Mode, it asks for a password. Well there is no password. When I log in normally, no password is required.

Dealing with some spyware and I want to run my scans in Safe Mode. I tried selecting Administrator with no password and it still doesn't work.

So when I boot normally and go to Users in Windows, my account is the Administrator and there is no password.

So what is the Safe Mode password???

Thanks!

2. silverandcold

Still can't boot into safe mode without a password. I tried everything!

3. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

It would help to know which version of windows you are using?

Anyways if it's XP you could try to reset the mysterious or forgotten password.

Try to follow instructions under title Cannot Change Administrator Password in Control Panel

On this page http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

Many people put in a password during windows install and forget.
    Good Luck

Later

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. silverandcold

Sorry, it's XP Home SP3.

5. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Under 60 seconds to respond crazy smokin speed that!

Those instructions should sort you out then.

Later

6. silverandcold

Haha! I have it set to notify me by email.

Thanks, but the thing is, there are no passwords. There are four users set up on the machine. All are Administrator accounts, and non have passwords.

In other words, if you log in normally, you can select any of the four accounts and are not prompted for a password. If you try to boot in Safe Mode, there is one choice - Administrator, and it requires a password.

So I don't think those instructions are going to work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

7. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

another thing to try is just press enter,
    i know lots of people who havn't set the administrator password when they've done a format and re-install - even some shop bought ones

8. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

You see the real Admin Account is hidden no matter how many other accounts you make with Admin privileges. Any way try this command.
    As the power user thing may be an issue with previous suggestion.

open a command promp then enter the following command: net user <user_name> <new_password>. When you do so, the password changes without prompting you

So if my desired password was littlelamb the command would be:

net user <Administrator> <littlelamb>

9. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

While I can't remember, and can't verify at the moment, if this works for XP Home.

It works for sure in Pro, and is simple, and very worth a shot.
    Probably should have tried this first (blame too many consecutive birthdays)

Start > Run type in: control userpasswords2

It should bring up a rather self explanatory window as attached pic.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds