safe mode via msconfig - now won't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by kms57, Jan 1, 2006.

1. kms57

kms57 Private E-2

I'm in the process of following instructions to eliminate some spyware and used the symantec msconfig procedure referenced here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 to boot into safe mode. Unfortunately I now know that my system will not boot into safe mode. Since I used msconfig to get into safe mode and not the F8 key I'm stuck.

How do I get to a place where I can modify msconfig back to normal boot? I have the reinstallation cd provided by Dell when I bought my system but don't really want to reinstall windows if I don't have to.

Specifics of what happens when I boot:
    Basic Dell bios load screen and then windows splash.
    Black screen with "safe mode" in the 4 corners of the screen
    Windows is startup up... screen
    Login screen with all user accounts showing.
    I log in as administrator or another account with admin privileges.
    Loading personal settings screen.
    Black screen with "safe mode" in the 4 corners.
    Dialog box with "Windows is running in safe mode, etc." appears briefly and then goes away. Quickly clicking yes doesn't make a difference.
    Then nothing. I'm sitting with a black screen, safe mode in the 4 corners, MS Windows XP...SP2 on the top, a mouse cursor and nothing else. The only thing I can do is press "windows-key L", which presents me with a "Unlock Computer - this computer is in use and has been locked" window. If I use the account I originally chose nothing happens - back to the same screen. If I choose another userid with admin privs I get "This will log off the current user". I choose OK and get back to the basic login screen with all user accounts showing.

Any ideas?

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

When you log in using safemode try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the task manager

In the task manager hit File -> New Task(Run) and type in msconfig

If you can get this working you can reconfigure msconfig.

3. kms57

kms57 Private E-2

It worked beautifully. I am now back to my normal boot. Thank you so much! And Happy New Year!

4. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

no problem happy new year

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds