Safe Surf Possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by humblejohn, Jul 30, 2011.

1. humblejohn

humblejohn Private E-2

Can I surf the web anonomously or should I not worry? I see www sites that

advertise for this but I don't know which are legit. I erase tons of tracking

cookies with superantispyware and I would just as soon not have to do that if I

work in privacy. As a certified beginner I really don't want to get too

complicated. Does surfing anonomously protect me from much? Thanks.;)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird area this one as in sort of reality their is no such thing as safe surfing in regards to tracking as even if you use one of these anonymous surfing sites or apps, you are traceable from your PC to your ISP then to the anonymous service, from then on the sites that may wish to track you (will come back to tracking later) will only get an IP address off the anonymous service, however because the data is passed on from the anonymous service through your ISP to you, where you have been could be logged at your ISP.

Tracking cookies are not an issue, some think they are but read this HERE (section 12) on Cookies.

You could us the latest versions of Internet Explorer or Firefox and Chrome "ingognito" (other browsers may have this feature but these are the main ones) and their "private browsing" options as an easy option, although an issue does arise with browsers that have add-ons/extensions as some of them have their own cookie system (adobe Flash and Sun Java to name two) and iirc Firefox as yet doesn't disable extensions by default.

The others are applications that will allow you to VPN (Virtual Private Network) into the anonymous server and out, but in the main many can cause slow browsing and most services you have to register for, so not very anonymous, plus some have download limits of 500mb to 5GB per/week/month or day.

Surfing anonymously will not protect you from getting malware.

Question is what is your main reason for wanting to anonymously? just curious and this is not a full overall picture of this area of computing, more a quick overview.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I don't bother surfing anon., not worth my time or worry. They only want your money, not your life(at least the legit ones don't)!:p:-D I just say 'no' if offered anything. This might not be a proper answer to the question though. Apologies.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I dunno Augie, its a good answer as you are on the internet a bit per day, so does surfing anon worry you? I would think not as you have enough security apps to protect you from the ills of surfing to knowing what is good and bad.

But then tracking cookies are in some cases needed for shopping etc. Plus at least I will get a convo going in this topic, I maybe right I maybe wrong in my earlier post.

5. humblejohn

humblejohn Private E-2

That's why I am a beginner. I thought there must be something I was missing. I guess not.
    I know that I sell stuff on craigslist and it is loaded with scum--gs. Once one of these people got my ISP and said I lived in a certain area. I didn't know you could get someone's isp from an email. Thanks for your reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds