Safe temperatures?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sujanne, Sep 23, 2009.

1. sujanne

sujanne Private E-2

What are safe temperatures for a cpu and a graphics card? I have a quad cpu (Q6600) and a 9800 gt. After a couple hours, playing games temperatures are above 55 C. What extra cooling do i need?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Q6600 anying below 60 is ok 9800 GT anything below 75C is ok

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have a pair of 9800GT's with the shaders OC'd to 1800 and they fold 24/7, which is basically pinning the GPU's. The Q6600 is also folding but not full tilt yet. CPU is at stock speed using the retail Intel HSF. The GPU's are designed to run hot and mine have the fan speed set to auto, about %62 and %47 fan speed respectively. I've got a pair of 120 fans pushing air in and 1 120 plus the PSU pushing air out. Nothing fancy. Oh, I've had the GPU go up to 105C when I manually set the fan speed to %40, bad idea.:-D

[​IMG]

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay here is a reference I have been using for years and is fairly solid:

Processor Electrical Specifications

Scrolling down to Q6600 we find there are 2 main models. Now we need to define what stepping your Q6600 is. To do this use CPU-Z 1.52.2 and refer to "Family, Model, Stepping" and you will get your critical upper threshold temp for the CPU.

The graphics cards are fine upto 85-90C when loaded and I start to get concerned when I am hitting 100C.

Importantly what is your current ambient temperature (daily weather average) as this will be playing a big part in noted temp ranges.

Your CPU at 55C is pretty good for load temps but if you want better piece of mind I can suggest some of the best HS and Fan's to cool that sucker.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I like Augie have two PC on folding and my GPU has run over 100c an many occasions but it's still going strong.

These are the temps for my hottest PC at the moment.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds