safest browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by tm711, Oct 1, 2009.

1. tm711

tm711 Corporal

I was wondering if anyone had done an analysis of the various web browsers. Specifically, which one was the hardest to infect with virus, trojans, etc, malware in general. Also, which one is the easiest to clean up. For example, the various versions of ie, since they are so common, probably have the greatest data base of clean up procedures. The Apple browser being less commonly used may be less often infected, but it might be a bear to clean up. Is there some sort (for lack of a better word) of index that compares times infected vs ease of cleanup? I have been using ie6 which I know is old, but I am used to it. I know I will have to change some day, and such a study/index may help me decide which one to use.

2. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

believe it or not most reports say ie8 is the safest. if your system is fully patched and you have a good AV ie8 is one of the safest browswers around. Safari is the weakest as far safty is concerned. the majority of weakneses in ie8 come third party software(adobe etc), hope that helps

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

IE 8 may be the safest when using inPrivate Browsing mode (Ctrl+Shift+P) when all extensions and add-ins are disabled.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just came across a report that addresses web browser security and social engineering malware:
    There is no mention of any additional 3rd party security addins like NoScript so I assume the browsers were tested as default vanilla installs.

5. tm711

tm711 Corporal

Wow! Thanks to everybody! That report sure made for interesting rading.

6. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

That test is for socially engineered malware, which, by definition, requires the user to consent to download the malware. So it's baffling how the test can actually test the security of a browser.

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

There is no safest browser. They all have issues and security issues. However imo FireFox with no script is the safest.

8. FBP

FBP Private E-2

Hello everyone i was wondering if we could make a browser with security as what to focus on.??? ;)

9. stvh1

stvh1 Private E-2

I agree with you FireFox with the right add - ons installed is by far the best.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds