Salvaging Hard Disk Data without a Screen (Paypal $ for a Working Solution)

Discussion in 'Software' started by DWRZ, Sep 3, 2007.

1. DWRZ

DWRZ Private E-2

The video card on my laptop failed. The system still runs but I can't see anything.

I need to send it in for repairs, but I _really_ need to pull some data from the disk since it is usually formatted there.

Here are my resources:

Laptop is the HP zd8000. OSs: Windows XPSP2 and Kubuntu 7.04. GRUB is the bootloader. I have the Kubuntu Live CD. I have an external hard disk (160Gb), two USB Sticks (1Gb, 2Gb).

Any ideas on a fix? I'll Paypal some cash ($10-15) to whoever suggests a fix that works. The data on the disk is very important.

Also, please note that I am in Italy and I'd like to do this without having to pay someone (GeekSquad equivalents... unless it is around +-$50).

I tried attaching an external monitor and hitting Fn+F4, but it did not work.

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

well, they do sell an adapter, that you can use on your laptop h/d, so that you can install it into a regular pc. hopefully, you can get at your data this way? or whatabout a h/d enclosure (i know they have them), that you can plug into a usb port? that's the only thing i can think of right now. g/l, sos

oops, if you are able to get to your h/d, if you have it password protected, your gonna need this link (unless you already know it).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech <-- How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds