Samsung Hard drive Partitioning problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ma99uk, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ma99uk

ma99uk Private E-2

Hi !!

I bought new hard drive to replace existing on Compaq Presario portable Model 915EA. New drive is Samsung HM160HC ( 160 Gb).

Using partlogic-0.69 partitioned and used FAT32 system.

Major mistake !!!

I realise I should have used Windows XP to partition etc. I have XP home edition CDs.

Deleted partition in Win XP. Now says unpartitioned space 32 Gb. How to increase to 160 Gb ?

I have downloaded HUTIL from Samsung website.

Used it to check drive.

Under drive information it says Current size 32253 Mb, native size 152627Mb.

Under tools option are following options :
    1. Erase HDD
    2. Set max UDMA mode
    3. Automatic acoustic management
    4. self diagnostics

Under self diagnostics option -- drive size is shown as 32253 Mb.

Under erase HDD option are following options :
    - process
    - target LBA (66055244)
    - target size ( 32253 Mb)
    - erase MBR
    - Low level format

Are one of these options what I should run to get rid of the 32253 Mb size? How do I then get to native size 152627Mb ? After what happened before I am a bit vary about running any option I am unsure of !!

Thanks.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Try the low level format... it should reset the drive to a factory, unformatted state.

I'm assuming this is the new system drive for your computer? In that case, once it's low level formatted, use the Windows install disk to format, etc. Also, NTFS is a better format than FAT32.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd have to read up on the specifics because it has been a while but the 32GB number is not just random. There used to be a problem with older computers recognizing a FAT32 partition or drive over 32GB. I don't remember if it was a BIOS thing or a Windows thing.

The last BIOS update for that model was 2003 so it may not address the situation of large HDs. Like I said I'd have to read up on it.

If the drive is new you don't have anything invested in your current XP installation it may be simplest to reinstall XP using the NTFS format and keeping your installation partition under 130GB because there is also a 137GB limit that an older XP machine might have with NTFS. You could create a second partition for data to get the full use of your HD space.

This article isn't exactly the explanation I am looking for but there may be a starting point if you want to read up on it. I'll look around later tonight to refresh my memory.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Here's a site I turn to when problems arise with the size of a hard drive
    http://www.48bitlba.com/

It can be a combination of the hardware, BIOS and version of windows.

5. ma99uk

ma99uk Private E-2

Hi,

Can anybody advise on following for upgrading processor.

I have Compaq deskpro ENL/P733/10e/6/128c. Currently has Pentium 3.

What is socket type on motherboard ( i.e. is it no 478). Searched web sites but could not find this info.

Can i upgrade to pentium 4?
    Are there other fast compatible processors?

Would this improve internet surfing/ graphics? I have 512 ram ( max) installed.

Many thanks.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

ma99uk, please start a new thread. Your question has nothing to do with partitioning a Samsung hard drive. It is also poor etiquette to hijack someone else's thread.
    Start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    and click the new thread button near the top left to start your own problem thread.

7. ma99uk

ma99uk Private E-2

Hi,

My apologies ! I could not figure out how to start a new thread.

I will do so now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds