Samsung Vs Lg Smartphone.

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by Eldon, May 22, 2016.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am almost at the end of my third 2-year contract. With each contract I received a Samsung phone and never had any problems.

The LG Leon's contract will give me twice as much airtime for just an 18% increase in the monthly fee, the phone runs Android Lollipop and was released 1 year & 3 months ago.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini has the better overall specifications and, while I'm not buying the phone, costs 33% more. But, it runs Android Jelly Bean and was released almost 3 years ago.

Looking at the contracts, it's a no-brainer.
    Should I be concerned about...
    The Samsung is 3 years old.
    The LG's reliability.

For those interested, here's a side by side comparison.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-mini,LG-Leon/phones/7788,9244?ft=2

2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

What I see is the older phone has : more user memory - more expansion memory - better camera - more music options and more video format options. For me these are selling points even if I had to buy the extra data if needed. At least I would have a better overall use and experience of not just the phone but other uses.

Eldon likes this.
  3. Eldon

Thanks Imandy Mann.
    If it wasn't for phoneArena.com I would not have known the Samsung is the better phone.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Do you need to get a contract phone? I'm not impressed with either phone. The Samsung is quite old and the LG has very basic specs for a new phone.

5. Eldon

No. But a contract phone has worked well for 3 x 2 years.

For the Samsung I'll be paying R109 per month and I'll get 25 Anytime Minutes, 50 SMSs & 100 MB data. And a new phone - cash price R2,999.

I can continue to use my current phone (Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo), get the same Airtime/SMS/Data deal, and save R70/month.
    That's a saving of R1,680 over 24 months - R1,319 less than the value of the Samsung.
    Also, if my current 2-year old phone breaks... repairs, if possible, is very expensive in South Africa.

FYI 1 Rand = 0.06399 Dollar.

This one of my concerns.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Personally I think the Samsung Galaxy S4 is a much better phone than the S3 or S5. The fact it is 'old' doesn't show any use relevance to me at all. Its camera is better than all earlier models and at least as good as the S5. It is also very good value right now compared to others. The S4 currently runs on Android Lollipop 5.01 which is fine. It will be updated to Marshmallow fairly soon.

7. Eldon

I'm looking at the S4 mini wich runs Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Eldon likes this.
  9. Eldon

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Great. I have an S2 that I bought in 2011, I now use as a back up. It was great but gradually a lack of hard drive space for apps that couldn't be stored on an SD card. So last year I opted for the S4 as reviews of it (compared to S3 and S5) were great and two friends gave me good feedback. Plenty of space on it for Apps and I have a SD card for everything else and apps that can be run from the SD Card.
    Would I like an S6 or S7? Yes but I'm not made of money! lol

11. Eldon

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's annoying! But is is happening for the S4 normal size.
    Prices for a new boxed S4 full size are very good right now. As low as £149 here in UK for brand new - looks like it would still be cheaper to buy it on amazon UK even with international post.

13. Eldon

£149 = R3,374!
    The 24-month contract will cost me just R2,616.
    I'll get an S4 mini (R2,999), 600 Anytime Minutes, 1,200 SMSs & 2.4 GB Data over the 24-month contract.
    It looks like a winner to me. :D

Thanks to all for the guidance.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Looks good value for an S4 mini.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds