Sandboxie

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Nov 7, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I don't have the skill for a VM so is there an alternative to sandboxie that is free and very effective.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Sorry. Windows 10 pro. I want to increase my security and also, when trying a program, I'd like to close the browser and remove the attempt if I did not like it. Things like that.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you very much for the link. it is what I need.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Try_and_decide.PNG

This should give you most of what you want without the complications of a VM. It is included in Acronis.

peterr likes this.
  6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Bernie, I remember that years ago when I had Acroniss.
    I'll see if I need Acronis to get it.

7. Earthling

I've never used it in anger myself as I have several VMs I can use for testing or experimentation, but it really is as simple as it gets - just turn it on and everything you do from then on is recorded. When you decide to turn it off you choose whether to revert to where you were or keep the changes and continue from where you are. I s'pose if I was wanting to try something risky I might give it a go but I wouldn't use it on a continuous basis as another form of protection. If anything bad happened I would just revert to a recent system image. System images are far more certain than the most sophisticated of antimalware solutions. You wouldn't be able to run it without having Acronis installed though.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Metro apps are not compatible with Shade so Edge is out. I tried rt clicking and just clicking but got no responses as they advertise. I have removed it and will rely upon my restore points, defender, 2 firewalls(router), Macrium and MBAM.
    I don't venture a far so thanks for the advice. Sure wish I could get a VM going but I have convinced myself it is above my skill level. Back down to earth once again.

9. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I occasionally use Toolwiz Timefreeze. If this is like Timefreeze, the program's functionality will not extend beyond a reboot/boot and the ability to restore is lost. Reboot is something many installations ask for, especially the complicated ones that are the real ones to worry about. Anyway, Timefreeze is useless for those types of app installations...

10. Earthling

peterr, AtlBo's post reminds me that there is another way of protecting systems from unwanted changes, by means of system snapshots. I used to use such a system, Wondershare Time Shuttle, no longer available as they had poached the code from the market leader Rollback RX. You could keep up to 1000 snapshots and restore to any of them in very little more than the time it takes to reboot. Creating a new snapshot was just a few seconds. For quite a while I was fascinated and completely hooked by this capability but there are one or two operational constraints which eventually convinced me it could not be relied in the event of a catastrophic failure, like a bad disk, so reluctantly I gave up using it. Good thread on it HERE. Now we no longer get disk failures (with SSDs) I'm thinking maybe I should try it again.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thanks Bernie, I will read up on it.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>>I will also read up on this and thank you.

13. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

peterr...

It's quite simple to use, but the problem for me is that nagging feeling that I'm going to forget it's on and reboot. If I so much as shut down, forgetting it's on, the ability to restore is gone. If there were a warning from TF when attempting to shut down, that would help me feel better. As it is, I stick to using it when I know I will only need to verify if, for example, an installer installs extra/unwanted items or if I just want a quick peek at a program to see what it does.

Still it scares me that I will forget that it's on and reboot or shut down while I am "freezing" a certain period of time. Other than that, the restore has always worked flawlessly for me, and that's something positive to note about the program...

14. Earthling

I've been running the free version of Rollback RX in Win 10 1607.14393.351 since I last posted. No problems at all and it's behaving faultlessly. Creating a new snapshot was about 5 - 6 seconds. Restoring a previous snapshot about 2 minutes for rebooting and this laptop is no racehorse! The free version can hold up to 7 snapshots after which it would be necessary to uninstall and reinstall, no big deal. Reading up on it I realise that there is a simple answer to the issue of no image restorations - you just uninstall first and create or restore your system image. Then reinstall, simple.

This is a great solution to the issue of being able to quickly undo any unwanted developments and I'm keeping it installed. Thanks for asking the question peterr :)

peterr likes this.
  15. Earthling

or simply delete a few earlier ones

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Glad to have suggested something that led somewhere, Bernie.
    I will now go to your suggestion and read up on it.
    TY
    Peter

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I used RollBack RX from Major Geeks and there was a blue screen that said the installation failed I had to restart but could not. When I tried to power down with my finger and then power up it said the same. I used Macrium to get up and running. Please look into this because I feel there is a lot of merit to RollBack RX and would like to use it.
    Those with VM's can see if it is OK or not and if not can remove it from their VM, as I would like to be able to do if I was not inept.

18. Earthling

Suggest trying again with a fresh download. It's problem free here.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you will do.

20. Earthling

Still no joy peterr? This is definitely a keeper for me and I've installed it on all the 'in regular use' win 10 systems here. I love the idea of being able to backstep out of a problematic update in just a minute or two rather than having to restore a full system image, though that would still be available if necessary.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

That is true. There is RollbackRX, system restore then image recovery.
    Rollback would give me a chance to try a program to see if it is any good.
    My download for Rollback was a zip file which had 'setup', 'drivers' etc in it when extracted.
    I clicked on setup. How should I do it properly?
    If I had trouble would system restore fix it?
    If I did not have Rollback would system restore be the same thing but a longer process?
    That should do it and thank you.

22. Earthling

Looks like you may not have changed the File Explorer default so as NOT to hide extensions for known file types. Do that and you will see there is setup.exe and setup.ini. You need setup.exe.
    Rollback does exactly the same as a full image restore, only far , far quicker. System restore only reverts selected files and folders so not the same thing at all.
    Yes that is one use, but think of it as doing the same job as a system image restore, so every change made since the snapshot was created is rolled back, and in no time at all. It does not replace your imaging program though as it cannot cope with disk failures.

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

My default is 'hide extensions'. I will try and look for set up again and look for .exe which I thought i did last time. What about drivers etc. which show when extraction occurs? Just use setup.exe, correct?
    Use Major Geeks again?
    TY again

24. Earthling

You only need setup.exe, nothing else, and you can use either mg or author's site, shouldn't make any difference. If it still will not install it must be your system. Are you using an MBR system or GPT?

25. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

MBR - GPT. I don't know. I see MBR when Macrium images. Also I have the older BIOS not UEFI.
    But I will go with author's site and click on just setup.exe.

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Use Comodo IS - it has an excellent sandbox incorporated in it.

27. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

rollback.png Bernie I extracted and have a folder with'setup' - no .exe,' and also the identical icon which says '64'. which should I double click? on?
    My PC is 64 byte.

28. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thanks Max. I'll consider it but really want to try this rollback right now. Do you know what I asked Bernie.

29. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

For 32-bit Windows click Setup.
    For 64-bit Windows click x64.

30. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I already clicked setup which did not say but now I know is 32. 64 was alone. I have a 64 byte system. Should I remove and redo or go with the 32 which seems to work. I too wish I had waited.

31. Eldon

It's ideal to use 64-bit software in Windows 64-bit when available.
    But if you aren't having problems, stay with the 32-bit version.

32. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Something that goes as deep as Rollback will almost certainly need to load x64 drivers to do what it needs to, the front end controller for it doesn't need to be x86, the devs are well aware of this and they could/should have created an 'intelligent' installer - if the setup exe finds an x64 OS, it would automatically install the correct version.

33. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

An odd thing; I was going to remove the program with Iobit uninstaller and saw where rollback says Rollback x64
    Originally, I simply clicked on setup as Bernie said not x64 although the icons froor setup and 64 were the same and it may have installed 64 or else why would IObit uninstaller recognize it as x64?
    Satrow is this what you are saying that I have x64?
    For future installation, would you click on setup, or 64 with icons being the same?

34. Eldon

From your post I'm guestimating you have the x64 version of Rollback installed.
    In future, if there are 2 installers, always select the 64-bit one. Of course it would be nice if they could make a small effort in naming the installers correctly.
    Usually you'll see setup, and setup64 or setupx64.

35. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, I reckon you have the correct x64 version installed. The joys of an intelligent installer, eh?

36. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

When you extract, they show you everything in the folder; 64, setup, drivers etc
    My guess is you click on setup b/c you cannot click on everything in the screen.
    It seems to work well + beats waiting for system restore or an image.
    Now to learn about it. One good feature is when you click help, it take toy to the forum.
    Thank you for you patience.

37. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

FYI, I used setup on the desktop and 64 on the laptop and the results are identical.

38. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>What if you create a file you want to keep, and then rollback? Is it going to remain like system restore? Or if you install a program - I guess it goes as that is the purpose of Rollback. I just was not sure of what goes and what doesn't.
    >>>Also, above you mention "there is a simple answer to the issue of no image restorations - you just uninstall first and create or restore your system image. Then reinstall"
    Could you elaborate, please.

39. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Max I have not had success with the Rollback program or its forum. Are you running Comodo IS on Windows 10 and is the free version suitable?

40. Earthling

Back in #22 I said Rollback does the same job as a full image restore, so if you created a file and then restored a Macrium image what do you think might happen peterr? The big difference is it would literally have taken just 5 seconds to create a new snapshot that does include your new file, and then you can roll back. As you can copy files in snapshots you could then copy it into your current system. This program is seriously clever and I'm surprised it hasn't attracted greater interest.
    >>>Also, above you mention "there is a simple answer to the issue of no image restorations - you just uninstall first and create or restore your system image. Then reinstall"
    Could you elaborate, please.[/QUOTE]
    Without going into how Rollback RX performs its magic you do have to observe its running restrictions - no defragging and no restoring of disk images. Rollback RX has its own defragging system and you have to use that and no other. Restoring a previous disk image could destroy the system so Rollback has to be uninstalled first, then it's completely safe to do so. You then reinstall.

But if you aren't able to install, or just don't want to then it's academic.

41. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Bernie
    I do appreciate your trying to help.
    I wanted to tell you what happened. I read where updates like anniversary require that you uninstall Rollback. I read a few other issues in the forum under help. The forum there never replies.
    Anyway, I used Revo on one PC and Iobit on the other and in both cases once the PC rebooted and you expect the program to be gone, there it is again making a new point. I had removed any of my points first but the baseline one could not be removed as the program says.
    I read about many folks having uninstall issues. I tried everything but could not get to my Windows screen.
    Alt., ctrl., del. would not bring up the task manager yet eventually, I was able to slip Macrium in on one of the reboots. This allowed me to recover a one day old image.
    I will be the first to say I blunder often. I will stick to the basics. My desire to move up a skill level just is not in the cards. So thanks for your patience and I'll stick with Windows basics.
    Peter

42. Earthling

You uninstall using the built-in uninstaller when the RollbackRX splash screen appears at boot. You cannot use conventional uninstallers. Sorry for the poor photo but Uninstall is on that menu.

The program works brilliantly peterr, but probably unsuitable for you.

WP_20161112_09_22_45_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  43. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I think there was an uninstall next to it on the start menu too. You are right that the program is fine for a qualified user.
    :)

44. Earthling

C'mon peterr, why so timid? We solved your problem installing it - you never did say what that was about, and I've explained how you correctly uninstall RBRX should you need to. You also have Macrium you can fall back on if all goes belly up and you can PM me any time if you're stuck. Forget the RBRX forum - it's for experts, not novices. For what you want - a way to trial other software and duck out of it if unsuitable - you simply won't find anything that compares. I've been testing every aspect over the last couple of days and it's bombproof. What more can I say?

45. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You are right about getting better information here; I was just pointing out that there is a forum for those reading this.
    Prior to this did you use a VM to test a new program or Sandboxie ?
    I will reconsider this program b/c it is something I could use. Let me sleep on it. Thanks, Bernie.

46. Earthling

I simply rely on my imaging programs, Acronis and Macrium Reflect if I need to revert for any reason. I have things set up so that image creation or restoration takes no more than 15 minutes and I can be 100% sure I get back to what I can be sure is a good known recent position. However RBRX can do exactly the same or better even more quickly and it's automatically creating daily restore points - I don't have to do anything at all. As I said, I have used a very similar program in the past, so not all new.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  47. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I had Acronis but for the last 6+ years Macrium has never failed me. Yes, it does take time though.
    After I do a clean install I create a baseline image that, if I need/want a clean installation, I can just image to the baseline one. I do have more current ones as was the case to get up and running after Rollback.
    I do believe in the integrity and speed of the program; I appreciate the offer to pm and will likely take you up on that soon.

48. Earthling

peterr, here's an example of how I use RbRX. The laptop I'm using atm has had a Win10 clean install but has never been in regular use so it needs tuning up a bit, starting with applying Black Viper's services list for Win 10. I've installed RbRX and so have a baseline restore point so I can now start working through the services. If, having done so, everything is good I'll update the base line. If there are issues I can revert to the base line in a few minutes and try again. I could use imaging to do this but this is far quicker and doesn't require space on a backup drive, as would an image.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  49. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was about to try again but thought I would read a bit about the program. I know you know what you are doing and some of what I read could be erroneous.
    There were threads that discussed the problems the program has with Windows 10. They included all the alternatives to RollbackRx.
    I think they could have made it clear that, like Norton and other programs that require their own installer, that it is the case and very important.
    They could also mention that system restore is turned off.
    I hope you continue using it with great success and please answer back in a few weeks about its compatibility and, in general, how it is running. I do trust your management of it better than some unknown, so will be back to see if it continues to be trouble free with Windows 10 14393.447 1607.
    Thank you, Bernie.

50. Earthling

Sure, I'll let you know how it goes, good or bad, and any usage tips I may acquire.

peterr likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds