Sandisk Cruzer not recognised by XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parispete, Nov 26, 2006.

1. parispete

parispete Private E-2

I have a Sandisk 512mb Cruzer that is driving me nuts. Some pcs recognise it instantly, some refuse. Sandisk have a driver, which XP refuses to load, saying that XP needs no extra drivers. Aaargh! Can anyone help me out?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Try another USB port
    Your USB is enabled in BIOS?

I've never had to load any drivers for mine, I too use XP

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

XP doesn't need a driver.
    MS knows better than you :p and shows its' muscle by refusing to allow you to load a driver. Don't you just love them, sometimes.

My recommendation would be to purchase another USB stick as prices have fallen dramatically.

The aggravation is not worth it as you may load vital stuff on your Sandisk, only to NOT have it available when you really need it. Bazza

===

4. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Thanks, guys. The problem harks back to a comment I saw somewhere that the problem is confined to XP on laptops. My Cruzer works on my Dell desktop, but is ignored by XP on my IBM laptop. Pretty damn strange.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I just got a 1 Gig SanDisk Cruzer ..works fine with my desktop which is XP. Haven't been able to test it with the laptop as yet, due to it being out of commission. One thing I did notice though is it has 2 drives allocated to it, one being with the U3 smart software installed on it (K: Drive on my machine) and the L: Drive is the area where I can save files to the cruzer. The K: Drive comes up "read-only" if you try to save files there. Maybe this configuration is something you need to explore too?

6. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Thanks, Lev, but I got a tip from UseYourBrain that suggests SP2 is the way home. Since I never use my laptop on the net, I hadn't bothered loading SP2

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

XP sp1a actually has full support for usb 2.0. SP2 would be better.

In addition, if this is an old laptop/pc, pre 2002, then you may want to check to see if you have an "enchanced host controller", within device manager, under USB. If you do, then your hardware does indeed support usb 2.0.

8. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Mate, you've nailed it. My beloved IBM is a venerable 240 model, probably circa 1998, and there is no sigh of an enhanced controller under USB in Device Manager. Does this mean there is no chance of running the USB2 Cruzer on it, or should SP2 be a good workaround?

9. bigbazza

SP2 probably wouldn't help as it is a hardware problem you have, not software.

Maybe a PC Card (was PMCIA) running USB2.0 would override the USB 1.1 in your IBM internals, but I have never tried one.

Make sure you can get a refund (within 24 hours, or so), if this suggestion doesn't work, before you shell out $$$$.

Hardware geeks please step in. Bazza.

===

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

A PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association) device that gives usb 2.0 access should be what ye need. Or just return your device, and get one that does allow 1.1 or 2.0 useability.

Installing sp2, will not help, since this is a HARDWARE "problem". :(

This device, which should be available from a closer outlet, is something that you need to look into. :)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16839101111

11. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Thanks for all your help, guys. Having tried everything but prayer and human sacrifice, I'll buy what you say about it being a hardware problem. Is it not possible to load the enhanced host files missing in Device Manager? Or maybe even this wouldn't do any good.

12. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Just as a follow-up, what's got me really bushed is that I have two more USB2 storage drives that work just fine with my ancient IBM. So I'm still inclined to think it comes down to Sandisk's crappy software, since Google is full of complaints very similar to mine.

13. bigbazza

If the others work (it will be at 1.1 speed) then the trouble is with the Sandisk stick, as you suspect. As I replied, first of all, scrub the Sandisk one and write it off the experience. Bazza

===

14. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Yeah, thanks Baz, but I'll still use it between my PCs that recognise it. Black curses on Sandisk, though, a good company that just got lazy and careless.

15. bigbazza

I've accumulated 6 over a period of time.
    Different makes and capacities, (and falling prices).
    (No Sandisk, luckily. :D )

I like LG (1 gig ones) the best. Slim and trim and don't interfere with running 2 side by side, or on top of one another.
    Built in LED, as well, to show when it is loaded / unloaded, and running.
    Come with neck chain also. I carry one around my neck when going anywhere.
    Bazza

===

16. parispete

parispete Private E-2

I recently bought (in Paris) a 1gig thumbdrive from Intuit (Chinese?), which sets a new benchmark for what good compatable software should do. It's dirt cheap, unbelievably small, with lanyard for wearing under your shirt, and works like a bullet on everything. All my PCMCIA cards (incl Sandisk) work like charms too on all my seven PCs all the way back to Celeron 400s. So it's either a bad Sandisk driver, or some add-on that make my problem probably hardware. Thanks for all your help, Baz. If anyone out there has a Sandisk exec in the family, invite them home for Christmas, then refuse to feed them. Maybe the message will get through.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds