SATA and IDE combo's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarolH, Jun 29, 2009.

1. CarolH

CarolH Private E-2

I just had a new mo/bo installed in my computer. Unfortunately it only has 1 ide outlet (?). I can only plug in 1 harddrive and 1 dvd. I have another ide harddrive and dvd that I would also like to plug in. The mo/bo has 2 sata outlets that are empty. Are there any type of cables that can be plugged into an ide device at one end and into a sata connection on the mo/bo? Also can they be run together? Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yes, there are several types of adapters that allow you to connect an IDE drive to a motherboard SATA connector.... look at this link and this link and you should find exactly what you need. I've used similar adapters before, and while they can be tricky to get set up, once they're working, they're great.
    :-D Good luck!!!

[dlb]

3. CarolH

CarolH Private E-2

Thanks for responding so quickly! I have a total of 4 ide devices, 2 are dvd drives and 2 are harddrives. How would you configure them? Would you link 2 similar devices together? Which 2 would you connect to SATA? Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds