SATA Burner Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragon312, Feb 26, 2010.

1. dragon312

dragon312 Private E-2

I recently purchased a Samsung DVD Burner SH-S223L/BEBS to replace a broken one. My problem is it didn't come with any instructions or cables to help me figure out how to hook up the SATA cable, where to connect it on the motherboard, nothing. I'm a complete novice when it comes to putting computers together, so any assistance I can get would be appreciated. I have located 2 SATA connections on my motherboard but have no idea where to look for the one on the power supply. I have 2 different SATA cables, one has smaller size connectors about the size of a usb connector, and the other one has connectors about an inch wide. I'm so confused!

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

First, power off your PC, unplug it.
    Hit the power button without any power to discharge any stored power and avoid static issues.
    Touch you chasis or Power supply case to discharge yourself.

Now you are ready to install.

You should have an SATA connector cable.

http://www.cs-electronics.com/images-large/SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

It should be installed onto your motherboard in the first available slot and the other end into your drive.
    It will only fit in 1 slot and only fit in 1 way so you can't connect it incorrectly.

The power connector from your power supply looks like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/SATA_power_cable.jpg

If you do not have this connector native to your power supply you will need one of these....

http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg
    This converter plugs the white end into normal power connector the same as your old drive (assuming your old drive was not SATA) and the other end into your drive.

And again can only be installed into 1 place on the drive and in 1 way, so again you cannot install it incorrectly.

Once connected you *Should* (and I use that word losey lol) simply be able to power up your PC, the Operating system will most likely pop up and tell you "New Hardware Found", give it a minute and it should tell you it is "Installed and Ready to Use"

And that hopefully is all you will have to do :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Dragon,

I just did the same install of a SATA burner. My mother board came with the power adaptors. They are about 4 1/4" long and the connectors can be described as you did. The usually white connector accepts a power lead from your PSU and the black one goes to the Drive. Wires are same as PSU power leads, Red, Black, Black and Yellow.It may be unique to my MB but I had to load the Raid driver from my MB CD before I could get the drive to work even though I was not going to use raid. Raid setup kept jumping up, but was easy to get rid of. Someone here will have more complete info for you.

Good Luck, Jim

4. dragon312

dragon312 Private E-2

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm going to attempt this later in the day and will post again when I'm finished as to success. I don't anticipate problems, but we all know "Murphy's Law"! Again, I really appreciate the help, especially the photos -- makes it easier to see what to do.

5. dragon312

dragon312 Private E-2

Well, Murphy's Law strikes again!! Got the burner hooked up and in the tower, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I have 2 dvd burners, one is a Pioneer and the other is the Samsung I wrote about earlier. I had to use a power connector adapter. I have a MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard that has 2 SATA slots. I may have bought a burner that isn't compatible with my board -- I don't know. The Samsung website is next to useless to try and find anything out about this.
    Now the only burner the computer recognizes is the Pioneer one, and I think it was set up as my secondary cd drive. The drive I replaced was a Pioneer also, only it didn't burn cd's, only played them.
    At least I managed to install my wireless router successfully, so I feel like I accomplished something! I'm not giving up on this new burner, though, I just have to figure out what to do next. I have someone I can call, it's just hard to try and fix computers over the phone when the tech person can't see what the problem is.
    Thanks again for your help earlier.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

If it is not being seen by your PC then the first thing I suggest is to check cable connections and if possible try different cables.
    I've got many SATA cables that for some reason simply don't work.

You may also check in BIOS to see if it's seen there. DEL I think takes you to BIOS on MSI boards.
    WARNING! The BIOS is very important, don't change things willy nilly, write down what you changed (if you change anything) and moves you made in case you run into problems you will have info to get help with.
    Look to your Motherboard manual for more information.
    If you don't have it you should be able to get a PDF version from MSI's website.

You might need to try Jim's suggestion above.

Don't worry, you're not the only one, I spent 4 days trying to get a new dvd burner to work just a couple of weeks ago lol

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. dragon312

dragon312 Private E-2

YAY!!!! I figured it out! Turns out my adapter had a loose pin on the red wire -- whenever it got made, they didn't bend the "ears" out enuf for the connector pin to lock into the connector. I'm gonna see if my daughter can get it fixed where she works, and give her heck about quality control (that's what she does for a company that builds connectors). Again, thanks to everybody that replied with assistance, I really appreciate it. My local computer tech guy here in town also had an extra adapter he sold me for $3, so I'm good to go; everything is working fine. Still haven't tried burning a disc but am pretty sure that will go without a hitch!

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Figured it would be cables, it's surprising how many slip through the net of quality control.

Glad you got it going and you're more than welcome for the help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds