SATA connection to motherboard question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Nov 28, 2007.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have WD drives with the SecureConnect cables I especially bought so that I wouldn't have this problem anymore after the fiasco of using ASUS's supplied SATA cables. Adrynaline mentioned that his click into place and I've never seen that, in my one and only build. ASUS A8N-E. I'm tempted to just super glue the things in place on the mobo or spread the prongs a bit, neither of which I'm keen on doing.

BTW, all four slots are the same, no positive physical connection. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your time.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

3. augiedoggie

They come loose from the mobo every so often, so I reseat the cable and I keep going on until the next time, could be tomorrow, next week or next month.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Years ago electronics engineers used candle wax, dripped on. Now hot melt glue guns do the job instead.

Both are secure but undoable.

5. augiedoggie

That's a great idea! Thank you very much!:cool

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

Have you tried any different sata cables? I had the same problem and bought some red sata cables on newegg.com, worked just fine! Of course the glue is also a great idea.

7. augiedoggie

I only tried the four red cables supplied with the board and used the two best ones, one would think that ASUS would spec in compatible cables for their own products in the first place. Also the red cables would get loose at the drive side too, which is why I bought the SecureConnect cables.

Also, it's always my boot drive that gets disconnected so next time I'll switch the cables at the drive side to see if the new cable is the culprit. I always buy from the 'net as a decent store is far away, so when I get my 500GB drive, I'll order some cables at the same time. Until then, it's melted wax.

8. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

If using melted wax do not use a candle flame. Heat the wax in a separate can or metal pot. Using a flame burns the wax and leaves carbon residue which is a conductor. Adding carbon to your motherboard may cause unexpected results.:)

9. padams

padams First Sergeant

Maybe a hot glue gun would be a better choice..........just a thought.

10. augiedoggie

Hehe you two, you're absolutely right! Tough to get the wax in the right place several inches down! I'd probably wax half the mobo with my eyesight! I'll borrow a friend's glue gun. Thank you.

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds