SATA Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iannsue, Nov 23, 2010.

1. iannsue

iannsue Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 running W7 Home Premium 32bit. Recently the system has been stopping for no reason, then the hard drive whirrs and we are back running. The stopping became more frequent, and today the system stopped at the bios saying that it couldn't find the disk 0. I changed disk 0 to sata 1 and disabled sata 0 at the bios. System booted and worked with no problem. Checked sata cable by changing them over, but keeping to sata interface 1 on the motherboard. All OK so no problems with the cables. I need two drives as I have my system setup as Sata 0 System Drive, Sata 1 Backup drive. I take daily incremental backups. How can I determine if Sata interface 0 really is broken on the Motherboard and is the only real solution a new board.
    There are only two Sata interfaces on the board.

Thanks for any help

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

3. iannsue

iannsue Private E-2

Thanks for that. I downloaded the diagnostics disk and ran them. My system showed NO errors which is very strange as I still cannot get SATA Channel 0 to work. I am still running from Channel 2 to the primary disk and I have bought an external caddy for the backup disk which is now connected via USB. Not ideal, but a workable solution until I can figure out what's wrong. BTW I have checked the SATA cables, they're fine...

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, iannsue.

To clarify: that model is listed by Dell as an XP/Vista machine - did you upgrade to Win 7?

5. iannsue

iannsue Private E-2

Yes, I upgraded via a clean install from XP Professional to W7 Home Premium. It has been running with W7 for about 6 months

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds