Sata Drama :\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sh@dow, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

well only cause ive started look into it....

See, I've just upgraded to GA-965P-S3 (+E6300, 2GBRAM, 7950GT) with a new SATAII hardrive WD2500KS.

I've installed all the above components but then when I booted from XP disk I noticed that the formattable size of the disk was only around 137GB instead of 250GB. Thus my search for answers began and I worked out that its because of the native system limitation (or something like that).

Point is, should I proceed with XP and SP2 installation and worry about making the rest of the drive available later or do I have to do something now (ie. before install)?

thanks lads

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Check the BIOS to see if it has a HD size limit. I've seen this before but usually on older mobo's. Are you sure it didn't say 237gb, not 137? For some reason, HD's seem to 'lose' about 6 or 8 gb per 100gb when Windows reports the size of the hard drive....

hopperdave2000

3. Sh@dow

Sh@dow Private E-2

yeh nah, im positive that it was 137GB (or roughly 131687MB as was displayed)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds