SATA Driver install -- no fresh WinXP install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nswyers, Jan 18, 2007.

1. nswyers

nswyers Private E-2

This may be a bit of a challenge, but if the task is possible, I'm sure someone here will know how to do it.

I have a 120GB Maxtor SATA HD from my girlfriend's brother's PC that I formatted and installed WINXP Pro onto. Basically I just took his harddrive back to my place, popped it into my PC and did it all that way. Stupid me. When I brought the HD back to his tower at his house, I couldn't boot windows because there were no SATA drivers on the drive!

Now, I know I can find the drivers and reinstall windows and press F6 to install the SATA drivers that way, but I want to know if I can do it easier and without a fresh install. Can I, with this Maxtor HD in my tower right now, somehow install the SATA drivers onto that drive?

2. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

Well give this a shoot.
    Take the instalaltions file but the sik on your pc and then whne you boot at windows either right click at the inf file and select install or go to control panel at add new hardware and give the inf file to add.
    well ti worth a shoot.

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

If I understand you correctly you formatted and installed XP on your PC which no doubt was an entirely different motherboard to your brotherinlaws thats why you cannot boot when HD installed in his computer, you will need to hook up the HD to his computer and install XP from there.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Correct. It's a compatibility problem.
    Remember when doing the install, the message that "Windows is checking your System Configuration"/

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The original poster, posted once in January 2007; I doubt that he/she is reading this thread almost 4 years later.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I never check the start dates, just the date of the last post.rolleyes
    Catches me every time.:-o

Another ooooops moment.:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds