SATA drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pimplord, Nov 6, 2005.

1. pimplord

pimplord Private E-2

Ok so I got a new MOBO to upgrade my system, but i ahve two old Sata HDs so I pluged them into new mobo and was having a hard time gettign xp to install with new nforce drivers so i installed same sata drivers from my old board and it isntalled fine the problem is i want to change to the nforec drivers for the sata because thats what is should be but im not shure how. in the device manager im not shure what they call the controller so i dotn knwo what drivers to update and i think i have to change stuff in the reg but im not shure what so any help would be good thanks

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Just downloaded the latest nforce drivers for your motherboard and run that installer. It will update everything that should be updated.

There is no need to find the individual drivers or edit the registry at all.

3. pimplord

pimplord Private E-2

well i ahve tried taht but the installer never seems to finnish installing or install anyting at all realy, for ex it has never installed the lan drivers

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

So does the NIC not work then? If something is working, like a lan or an HD, to be quite honest there is very little reason to change the drivers. Really the only time you'd bother changing drivers on a working device is with a video card and some high end sound cards. Otherwise if it's working there isn't much point.

Are you even sure you have an nforce board? And if so are you sure you're downloading the proper nforce drivers? For example you don't want to download nforce4 drivers for an nforce3 board.

5. pimplord

pimplord Private E-2

I know for sure it is an nforce 3 board and i have nforce3 drivers, btw nforce 4 drivers will work on a nforce3 board they just dont have agp drivers with them, and i want the right sata drivers because my hd seem slow if i have the right drivers they may work better. does any one know how to chech what drivers your using becasue i dotn see anyting that says sata controller in the device manager

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

That's because windows XP came out before SATA, so they don't appear as SATA drivers to windows since there was no such category back then. SATA drivers install as SCSI drivers to windows. You'll find them under "SCSI and RAID controllers" in device manager. Usually the drive name itself will include the word SATA, but not always.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds