SATA external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bg9208, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bg9208

bg9208 Private First Class

I have just taken delivery of a 2.5" Toshiba hard drive model JHDD2H22 B. I am running XPPro SP 3. The enclosure instructions have driver for Win 98 but no mention of XP.
    A previous IDE external drive was plug and play but this one is not recognized by the system. The instructions suggest that the disc be "Configured to MASTER" and then partitioned. Well I can find no jumpers etc to enable me to set master or slave and I cant partition it without it being recognised by the system.
    When it is plugged into it powers up and shows a steady red LED.
    Help would be appreciated

2. bg9208

STOP PRESS
    I have now tried loading the WIN 98 driver supplied which has not made any difference to the drive being recognised BUT after plugging in the disk, after a few minutes I got a blue screen headed BAD_SPOOL_CALLER,
    Stop: 0X000000C21(0X00000007,0X00000CD4,0X00000001,oX88763CD8).

The file I ran was named W98ED_setup (0711131)

The PC thern went into a prolonged memory dump.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you go into Disk Management and see if the Drive is shown. You may have to initialize it first. The partition and format.

http://www.inxtron.com/information-center/formatting-external-hard-drives

If that does not work You can partition the drive with Gparted Live CD or the bootable version of Partition Wizard and then see if your system will see it.

Edit: I just noticed that you tried to install the Win98 driver. Do not use that. Uninstall it. If you cannot do that, then use System Restore to take your computer back to the time before you installed it.

4. bg9208

Hi Chief, Thank you for your prompt reply however, as with any probems I have, its not as easy as that. I tried a system restore as I don't know how to uninstall drivers. Is there anotherway of removing it - I only installed it this morning.
    Luckily I have another PC which I could use to partition the HDD. I looked at the inxtron website and Gparted and I am totally unable to sort out what software I need as they both have a wide range of options and lots of techi info and I can't find any "download" section on the inxtron site. Can anyone explain to a bear of little brain what I need to do.

5. tgell

After the system restore, do you still get the blue screen? Where did you download the W98ED_setup file from?

6. bg9208

The system restore did not work, message saying 'try another date' but none of them work but I only get the blue screen when the HDD is plugged into USB. The W98BED driver came on the installation disk (Pluscom) but there was no driver for XP.
    I have a separate PC without this driver loaded which I could use to partition the drive if I could understand how to do it.

7. bg9208

Hello Chief, I have just pugged in the HDD into the USB port on my other PC and almost immediately got a Blue screen with error messages.
    I think I can now presume that it is probably the drive itself which is toast.
    What do you think?

8. tgell

Are you plugging this external drive into a USB port or a eSATA port?

9. bg9208

Hi chief,
    I'm plugging into a USB mimi port, this is what the caddy came with.

10. tgell

Sorry,
    Must of been still asleep. I see that in your previous post it was USB. :-o

Okay,
    Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. It will be an iso file. Burn the image with Imgburn or something like Nero. Boot the CD with the external drive connected and tell me if Partition Wizard sees the drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds