SATA hard drives and IDE hard drives together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boydy, May 10, 2013.

1. Boydy

Boydy Private E-2

is it possible to put 2 IDE hard drives into one of my computers thats also running 1 SATA drive... quick help please as im at it just now

2. Boydy

Boydy Private E-2

from what ive read i think i need to keep my SATA CD/DVD drive ?

im also needing to change the power supply to accommodate the extra 2 hard drives.

Should i also plug in the IDE CD/DVD drives if i do put the IDE Hard drives in ?

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You can mix and match all you want, as many ide or sata drives as your motherboard supports, connect the Cd drive again wherever you wish, just try not to put your cdrom and ide hard drive on the same master slave cable, hard drive in ide0 and cdrom ide 1.

You usually don't need to upgrade you power supply to run extra hard drives they don't consume much power roughly 10-15 watts per hard drive, that is if you don't have any other upgrades that consume large amounts of power.

For instance if you wanted to add another 10 hard drives I may consider upgrading your power supply by 100watts, for an extra two hard drives it isn't worth worrying about.

4. Boydy

Boydy Private E-2

thanks for the help.

Ive gone a head and done this but im having issues.
    Since i added the 2 IDE drives im getting a blue screen bios is not fully acpi compliant, for now there unplugged and computer is running fine.

5. Boydy

Boydy Private E-2

Since i added the 2 IDE drives im getting a blue screen bios is not fully acpi compliant any help ?

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Make sure your boot drive is selected in bios, I'm assuming your sata is your boot drive and your using the older ide drives as secondarys.

So go into bios and set first boot device as hard drive then disable other boot devices, under boot order select your sata drive as first boot device, if you want to boot from one of the other ide drives select one of those as first boot device.

This fix assumes the error is caused by booting from the wrong device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds