Sata Optical Drive Not Recognized By Sata Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Jan 10, 2012.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I have a sata pci card on a computer that only uses ide. Which is why I bought the sata pci card of course. The card itself has 3 sata ports and one extra ide header. I bought a sata optical drive and connected it to the old pc with a molex to sata power connector, and it powers on fine. But I can't say the same for the data. I have the sata data connector plugged from the optical drive to the pci sata cards 2nd sata port, and I can't see the drive in Win XP!!!!

I don't know why... I checked my device manager and scanned for new hardware but still can't see it. Nothing comes up, and there is nothing with an exclamation.

Hopefully someone can help... I will try to check the cable connections now and see if one end is loose. But I'm sure it's plugged in right.

2. superstar

I had a sata cable connected to the 1st sata connector on the card but nothing plugged into the other end of it. Just kept it there in case I ever wanted to attach anything to it. It would be ready that way... So I unplugged that useless cable and plugged the optical drive to that sata port on the card. Weird it works in the 1st sata connector on the sata pci card now that I've switched it over. Though I still have to test it and see whether or not it plays dvds fine without lags, and burns without a glitch.

Does anyone have any idea why it wouldn't work in the second port on the card?

I did a massive windows update yesterday on this pc since I hadn't turned it on in like a year. Maybe it installed something that was useful for my Win XP SP3 to make it work. I'm going to test this optical drive now and than plug it back into the second port on the card and see if it works. Than if it does I'll plug the useless cable back into the 1st port and see what happens.

I'm hoping the ports aren't shared. It's a sata pci card I don't know much but don't think the ports should be shared since they're both internal and meant for adding devices! Why would anyone make a card that shares two internal ports? lol

3. superstar

Seems to play the first dvd I put in there but it lags playback at every 30 seconds or so. Rebooted, than tried to launch another dvd and it didn't work at all....

Anyone know if the drive would work better if I just connected it via a spare internal USB 2.0 port on a USB pci card I have? I've already confirmed with the USB pci card manufacturer that the internal port isn't shared at all.

I saw this adapter on eBay!!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-USB-2-0-...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6b1e7cb

Let me know if this adapter would work instead of me having to buy a usb enclosure for the drive! I don't want the drive to be outside of the pc I want it to stay inside!!!

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I bought several sata cards that have 4 internal ports and 2 external, there are jumper setting to enable 4 internal or 2 in/2external. You might look at the instructions for the card you have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds