SATA RAID 0 with a K8N Neo Platinum Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sylesia, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Sylesia

Sylesia Private E-2

Recently I decided to upgrade my PC, something I do often as one who likes to have the best PC I can with the little money I make . It was all going fine, and still works, but an upgrade I wanted seems to be causing me serious issues. I ordered two identical SATA harddrives (see below for all details of my system I think are needed) planning on RAID-0 them for my system. Following the instructions, I turned RAID on in my BIOS, and told my computer which hard drives I wanted RAID together. One point, the two working hard drives I had, I disconected, so all that are in are my new SATA drives. Once stating which I choose, I inserted my Windows disk, telling it I wanted to install RAID drivers. Here is where it gets tricky, and the problem arises. Since XP does not know SATA drivers (apparently), I had to get a 'manufactors' set of drivers. The instruction manual walked me through coping a folder over onto a floppy from the CD that came with my MOBO. Poped the floopy in, specified that I had the drivers and than the error poped up. I called up MSI tech support, but that came to a dead end, just telling me to try DLing the folder from the net instead of using the CD. Same error showed, now I am not sure what I should try to do to fix this. Nor am I sure what drive it refers to as D since before one of my HD was the D drive, though that is no longer presently attached.

MOBO - K8N Neo Platinum
    Version 1.2
    Processor - AMD Athalon 3000 64 bit
    RAM - 1024 DDR
    HD - Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST380013AS
    Error Message (exact wording) - File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1742 in d:\XPClient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

installing windows on a raid array is a bit tricky. have you tried using the floppy disk that the mobo manufacturer gave you? or downloading drivers straight from the manufacturer of the sata controller?

3. Sylesia

Sylesia Private E-2

The board did not come with any floppies, but the instruction manual told me what to do to basically create a driver disk. I tried using it when XP asked for a support from the Manufactur, but thats when the damn error arose.

4. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

hrm... two things come to mind:

your floppy drive could be bad (i've actually come upon a few before, and one actually impeded my own windows install on a raid). maybe you can try using another computer's drive?

maybe it's not the drivers at fault... it's possible that your windows xp cd is bad or something. i highly doubt that's the case, though. but if you want, you can try to borrow a friend's xp cd and try to install windows with it. JUST BE SURE TO USE YOUR OWN CD KEY if you're going to attempt it.

oh, and another thing: i heard that it's pretty darn hard to successuflly install windows xp if you have anythign set to "master" on either ide channel when running sata raid. just a thought.

5. Sylesia

Sylesia Private E-2

Than the question is, should I keep my RAID drives slaves? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of RAID? The speed wouldnt be as effective if only a slave.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds