Sata second harddrive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robinhood, Feb 2, 2006.

1. robinhood

robinhood Private E-2

i has just bought a maxtor diamondmax 250gb SATA harddrive to use as a second harddrive for storage. I currently have a maxtor ide 80gb harddrive on my pc with windows and all files on it. I have a ASRock K8 Upgrade 1689 motherboard bios 1.6 and sata drivers installed. Whenever i plug in the sata drive windows fails to boot. in the bios the sata drive is enabled and recognised in non raid mode as i did not want to use raid drivers. the boot sequence is floppy, 80gb harddrive, cd/dvd.
    currently 80gb harddrive is primary master, 2 dvd drives are secondry master and secondry slave, although i have tried the 80gb harddrive as primary slave but still no joy. i don't know what to do next. anyone any ideas as i am new to this thanks

ps i have also tried maxblaster4 the second drive is there but under a list called unknown controller and i cannot select it.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

control panel
    admin tools
    storage, rescan for disks
    shouldappear there
    right click and format etc there.

3. robinhood

robinhood Private E-2

i cannot get windows to boot up with the sata drive connected??

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

I think Maxtor has a "Big Drive Enabler" program that you run prior to adding drives larger than 137GB? That might be worth a try, since the MaxBlast drive manager didn't work.

5. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

In the BIOS If you have SATA Operation then set it to RAID Auto/ATA if you are not configuring RAID. That will Resolve the ISSUE.

Also Could you please let us know if it is Blue Screen, If Yes then also mentione what's the STOP ERROR Code.

6. robinhood

robinhood Private E-2

Thanks for all the replies. To get it to work i had to install windows on it and use it as my boot drive then transfer all my origonal files from my first drive. took me ages but i'm getting there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds