SATA150 vs. SATA 3.0GB/s?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blacktop Roland, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

I'm sort of ashamed to say this, but....I haven't been paying much attention to tech talk for awhile :rolleyes: , and I was looking at getting a dual-core processor, when one review mentioned "SATA 2". Intrigued (as I have but a "mere" SATA150 drive), I pursued it, and came across "SATA 3.0GB/s". I googled the term, then took a look at www.computerpoweruser.com, but got nothing solid except for reviewsx on mobos that have this new feature. Anyone know where I can find some solid info, or does anyone have experience with one and can give it a quick review? If a link is all you have, I'll pursue that. I'm a modder, so I always gotta have the new stuff to "pimp my box", and I'm merely curious about this new tech. And by the by, I remember reading that dual-core processors (Athlon 64 X2) are backwards compatible with single-core processor sockets (say, a 939 X2 to my existing 939 mobo). Can anyone remember if this true? Thanks for the help.

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Just curious, but why upgrade from Athlon 64 to Athlon 64 X2? For gaming, and nearly 90% of home user applications, a dual core processor will do absolutely nothing. In fact, for gaming, the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ gains less than 1% performance over an Athlon 64 4000+.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

SATA 150 transfers at 1.5GB/s and SATA 3.0GB/s does exactly that.... SATA2 does 3.0gb/s if i remember correctly. So SATA2 travels at 2X the speed of sata!

Also, some motherboards support ONLY skt 939 AThlon 64's..... Whereas some other motherboards support both Athlon 64's AND Athlon 64 X2s!

I think thats it...

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The connection is not the bottleneck, so although SATA 2 has twice the bandwith, and SATA 150 has more bandwith than ATA 100 or ATA 133, in actual use it's no faster.

5. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

Thanks for the information my fellow geeks. And to answer "why dual-core?", the answer is, "So I can brag about it." I know the perfomance gain is next to nothing, but if I have it, I can say that I do. If I need to cost-justify it on an expense report, I call it "future-proofing equipment". I told you I'm a modder. :p

6. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Of course.... You can run one core for folding and the other for gaming! lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds