save as cache drop down list- how do I delete it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NAFTA, Feb 23, 2006.

1. NAFTA

NAFTA Private E-2

When you save a file, besides putting it in the recent documents list, which I know how to delete, it also leaves it in the drop down "save as" list. How do I delete that list? This is a bit urgent, so please help.

P.S. I have Netscape broswer and even though I clear all tracks, it still saves all autofill forms, dunno why?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

3. NAFTA

NAFTA Private E-2

that did not do it, Can you tell me how to do it manually?

4. NAFTA

NAFTA Private E-2

Let me just clarify, I know a bit about privacy, recent docs, the difference between cookies/history etc...

This drop down menu, which has a cache somewhere, is found when you save a file to a location. It shows the names of all files saved, and I'm trying to clean it up. Unlike a search engine, it cannot be done file by file, because you're in "save mode" if you know what I mean.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Use CCleaner to clear the MRU ( most reciently Used lists )

and to clear the drop down search box in online searches ( you need to disable Autocomplete, in Netscape this is located iirc in Preferences > Navigator > Smart Browsing > and untick Location Bar AutoComplete or you can goto Advanced and look over the list of sites you have visited and delete as necassary.

Edit:

To manually remove the Save As references from the registry you will have to check these locations.

Office ( subsitute the XXX for the version of Office )
    Software\Microsoft\Office\XXX\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
    Software\Microsoft\Office\XXX\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Excel\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
    Software\Microsoft\Office\XXX\Common\Open Find\Microsoft FrontPage\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
    Software\Microsoft\Office\XXX\Common\Open Find\Microsoft PowerPoint\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU

System or Common Dialog
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds