Save found files using pc inspector only one drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Linda Long, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Linda Long

Linda Long Private E-2

I ran PC Inspector and found some of my files. It says to save to different drive, I only have a drive c: and can't save to disc for some reason. Also the screen does not come up like it supposed to with the little squares for you to set ticks to save that particular file. Also, has anyone used Flash Recover to recover files? It cost $30.00, I was wondering if it is worth it. Thanks!

Linda

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK.... I just spent the last 20 minutes or so using PCInspector to recovery data from my thumb drive so I could make some screen shots for you. It isn't a very user friendly program, but after you've used it once or twice, you'll get the hang of it. In the first pic below I have a list of stuff recovered from my thumb drive. What you need to do is select a file or files (hold CTRL and click to select more than one at a time) from the list that will look like pic1 below. When a file(s) is selected, the greyed out floppy disk (in a red box in pic 2A pointed to with the long red arrow) will no longer be grey. When you've selected all the stuff you want recovered, click the floppy disk. Pic2B will come up. The red arrows point to a good location and folder name for your data. You can create a new directory if you didn't make one before all this started by clicking on the icon in the green box (pic 2B). When you're ready to save, click the green check in the double purple box (pic 2B). So, if I selected to save the file from pic1 (it's in the red box "cluster 113037.EXE") it would be saved as C:\Documents and Settings\1-SAVED_DATA\cluster 113037.EXE in the examples I've provided. I tried to make this clear but probably have confused you now more than ever. If you have more questions, feel free to ask....

Good luck!
    :major
    [dlb]

EDIT- I just tried to send you a PM but you have them disabled :(

Attached Files:

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

And the final product......

Attached Files:

4. Linda Long

Linda Long Private E-2

Thank you for all your assistance. You weren't kidding when you said that this program is not user friendly. My files say that their in the root directory not lost. I am not sure where to go from here. I used Flash Recovery and it let me run a scan but not recover files unless I buy the program. When I ran the scan I could see all my pictures on the screen as they were scanned. Have you heard anything about this program and weather or not it's worth $30.00?

Linda

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The root directory is C:\

Open Windows Explorer (right click on My Computer and select Explore)
    Click the + in front of C:\
    and start looking through everything in the right pane.
    It is possible that your files moved there accidentally.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Are your pictures worth $30.00 to you? Keep in mind, that once you pay for it, you can use it again if you have another data loss in the future (hopefully you won't). I haven't really heard anything about Flash Recovery, but it seems to be working for you.... And you still haven't enabled your PM (Private Messages).... I'm trying to send you some info about saving your pics....

There's other free programs that should work for you:
    PCInspector Smart Recovery (for photo's on digital 'film' memory sticks; might work for your USB drive) http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_INSPECTOR_smart_recovery_d5040.html ( :eek Nooo!!! Not another unfriendly PCInspector program! :cry)
    PhotoRecovery (again, it's for digital film but it might work) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Photo_Recovery_d5426.html
    Ultimate Data Recovery (I ran this on my thumb drive just to see how it worked, and it did recover some stuff I had deleted months ago) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Data_Recovery_d5336.html

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here I am, again, with yet another free photo recovery utility... I was actually looking for something completely different and stumbled across this:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Zero_Assumption_Digital_Image_Recovery/zaimagerecovery.html
    The same company has a paid data recovery program that's pretty good, so I figured you may want to give their free photo saver utility a shot....
    And there's this one that says it can recovery photos from formatted memory sticks that might be good too:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/mjm-free-photo-recovery-software/mjmphotorecovery.html

Good luck!

8. Linda Long

Linda Long Private E-2

Thanks for all the info. I am still having problems, like the on program PC Inspector. I looked at the examples and my screen doesn't seem to come up like the ones shown (no little boxes to check next to files. But I am still trying. I need most of the photos for my daughter's photography class and other data that seems to be missing from excel and word. I come up with a couple of weird screens when I access word and excel before I get an actual regular screen, my files are all gone. One other thing I noticed is that the clock is wrong I fixed it manually but it is still wrong, could this be a battery problem this is a desktop not a laptop. Any ideas?
    Linda

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

PCInspector doesn't have little check boxes so I'm not sure what you mean here.

Since PCInspector is giving you such a rough time, have you tried any of the other programs I linked to above? Of the lot of 'em, PCInspector is probably the least friendly so the others shouldn't be much trouble. Of all the other apps above, I've only actually used the one I mentioned using so I wouldn't be much help.

For the clock problem; check the BIOS and make sure the time is correct. Right click the clock in Windows and select Adjust Date/Time. Make sure the time is set correctly, then check the Time Zone and make sure that is set for your location and then go to Internet Time, make sure the box is checked and that it says time.windows.com in the synchronization server box. Then click Update Now. If the time continues to be wrong you may need a new CMOS battery, but usually you will get warnings if the CMOS battery is low, and it won't retain changes when the PC is powered off for a period of time. You can always remove the battery and check it with a voltmeter; if it reads below 2.80 volts it should be replaced. A new one is only about $3.00 and most PCs use a type CR2032.

Good luck and keep us posted.

10. Linda Long

Linda Long Private E-2

Thank you again for all your assistance. I found some files in d: drive, I know some files belong there, but not all of them. Is there an easy way to move them to c: drive. A lot of them say cluster, does that mean it contains one file in that cluster or more than one?

Linda

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds