"savely Remove" Any External Drive Not Possible - Error Message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kletus, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

I cannot remove external USB drives using the "Savely remove" icon,
    [​IMG]
    this error message appears:
    [​IMG]
    Saying the device cannot be removed because of an unknown error.

I cannot find processes accessing that drive.

What could I do to make it work?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

Thank you very much for the link.

All of my hdds cannot be safely removed, WD MyBook, WD Elements, CnMemory, etc.

Step 2 does not seem to work, I have set the bin to "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin", respectively "remove files instantly", but it does not help:
    [​IMG]

I have left the default settings for all of my drives, "Optimize for Quick Removal":
    [​IMG]
    Does this also apply to Win 10? And is it really correct? I have learned a drive / hdd must not be removed under any circumstances without the "safely remove" option. The MFT or anything other might get corrupted.

That does not sound very trustfully, actually I would not have a slim chance of data corruption.

And what does that mean:
    What drive is a back up drive? My drive isn't one.

After the error message - the drive cannot be removed or something like that - occurs I try to find out which process accesses the drive with "Unlocker" but there is no process shown:
    [​IMG]

I do not use Media Player, Media Center, the indexing is shown to be finished.

So it appears there is no step left. Is there anything else I could do?

I did that (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555665), the search obviously stopped at 100.000 lines:

[​IMG]
    And if a process were found it would be shown underneath C:, I guess, but there is not any line containing R:
    [​IMG]

4. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

Sorry, I have Win 10, not Win 7 anymore. I cannot find the signature editor anymore.

5. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

May be I should mention again, this message declares an (cannot be stopped because of an) "unknown error", it does not state that there are processes accessing the drive.

6. plodr

Turn off the computer then disconnect the drive.

7. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

That is one of the greatest advice I have ever heard in my entire life, thank you very much, plodr.

8. plodr

This was the 3rd sentence on the Seagate page I linked to

9. Kletus

Kletus Private E-2

Yes, great, that's really true, very pleased about it, many thanks for pointing it out so clearly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds