SBC Yahoo hell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stef, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Stef

Stef Private E-2

Hey! I haven't been able to connect through my dsl since Sunday. I have called SBC tech support (can you say NIGHTMARE?!) three times and no one can really figure out the problem. I think the problem is with the EnterNet 300 because everything else appears normal. All lights on my modem indicate all systems are fine and SBC did ping my modem and said it was operating at 100%. They had my delete the connection profile in EnterNet 300 and create a new one. However, it does not make the connection to the server and I can't do anything to get it to work. I am close to calling SBC again and having someone come out, but my husband thinks it's something within the computer or my router that could be causing this problem. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, OS is Win98 and EnterNet version is 1.5.

2. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

try it without the router.

3. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Is the router configured for PPoEE properly? Make sure under status you are picking up an IP address. Try releasing the IP address and renewing it in the IP address. If that doesnt work then do like what was said above. Connect your computer directly to the DSL modem and we can walk you through creating a connection with internet explorer.

4. Stef

Stef Private E-2

I was able to connect by going directly through the dsl modem, so it does appear that somehow the router settings got fouled up because it has worked with the router for about a year now. Any help in creating a connection through explorer would be much appreciated!

5. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Log into to your router and check the settings now that you know that you have an internet connection. Just verify that the settings are correct and try again, maybe the router took a "hit" and defaulted back to the original settings.

6. Stef

Stef Private E-2

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I log in to the router? I tried to play around with it last night and I can't get past the initial setup because once I have to access the internet with the router connected I can't do it.

7. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Plug the computer into your router.

Go to start - run - command <enter>

type ipconfig

look at what your gateway is, should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or close

exit <enter>

open IE

http://<insertgatewayaddress> EX: http://192.168.1.1 <enter>

Enter username and password
    for default it will depend on your router manufacturer. Usuall admin admin or admin password

Now you are in. Can you tell us what kind of router it is? I can give you a step by step then.

8. Stef

Stef Private E-2

It's a Netgear router. Thanks for all the help, this forum is great.

9. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

OK go to http://192.168.0.1

for user name admin pass password
    or user name put nothing then password password or admin

You should come to a purple screen. There will be a menu on the left, go to status

There should be a release and renew button there (let me know if theres not im going of memory here)

Hit release then renew.

Make sure the IP address get something besides 0.0.0.0 if it does retry the internet going through the router

make sure WAN port is plugged into DSL the whole time.

10. Stef

Stef Private E-2

I don't know, I think something is really messed up. The gateway I get is
    63.203.72.167. I'm pretty sure that's not right!

I can't even login to the http://192.168.1.1 even when I'm going straight through the dsl. And forget about doing it with the router plugged into the computer. As soon as I plug in the router to my pc I lose my network connection. Maybe the router is bad? Plus when I do get on to the internet it is soooooo slow (which has been ongoing for a couple of months now) and I don't think it's spyware b/c I've got three different programs and it's only slow when I'm online. I'm looking for a new computer but I've got to keep this one limping along until that happens. Maybe if the router is bad that could affect the speed of the dsl connection? Ugh, this is so frustrating.

11. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

if you plug directly into the router from your PC, does the light that the port is plugged in come on? There should be a 1 2 3 4 port. Make sure you plug into either of those and NOT WAN port. If the computer is on and it is plugged in both ends you should get a light on the front of the router. If you plug into port 1 then the light on the front under 1 should come on. If not were looking at a wire being flaky or a bad router.

12. Stef

Stef Private E-2

When the router is plugged into the pc all lights are lit, meaning the power, port #, internet, and wireless light. But again, same thing. It just doesn't seem to be responding and then the network connection is lost right away. The weird thing is that as of three hours ago I have the fastest internet connection that I've had in literally months and I have no idea why. Fingers crossed that it won't revert back to the painfully slow connection tomorrow. But back to the router, should I try replacing the cable or get a new one? And if it's the latter, which do you recommend?

13. Stef

Stef Private E-2

Ok, today I bought a new router. Same problem. I get an internet connection with the dsl modem going straight into the pc, but as soon as I plug the router into the pc and the dsl modem into the router the connection is lost. The EnterNet 300 window pops up and starts looking for a connection and eventually pops up with a timeout message. I am bypassing the SBC connection manager altogether to get my connection and instead am logging directly into the EnterNet 300 and that actually seems to be working much better except for the fact that the router doesn't work and my husband can't get a wireless connection for his laptop. I'm at a loss. I really thought it was the router, but now it must either be the pc itself or perhaps the EnterNet software suddenly has a conflict with the router?

14. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

are you setting up PPOEE in the router? You must have this enabled for DSL to work, its an authentication, more than likely the settings are already in your browser, but not in the router. There will be internet connection types, Auto config / PPOEE or it will ask if you require a login, choose yes. You will need a ligon name and pass. Usuall something like

myname@myservice.net
    Password

Then click connect.

15. Stef

Stef Private E-2

Here's an idea: try resetting the router! Duh. I did and now everything seems to be back to normal (knock on wood). Thanks for the help...I may be back soon! :)

16. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

oh man thats great when you go through a bunch of trouble and something so simple works. I went to a customer the other day where no one could get this Adtran 612 router to work, I walked up to it, unplugged it, waited a few, plugged it back in and bam everything started working. Made me smile I did it in my first 5 minutes out there what others had worked on for a few days :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds