ScanDisk in Win. ME not working (revised)

Discussion in 'Software' started by msperry, Apr 22, 2004.

1. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Computer: Dell Dimention 4100. System: Windows ME. ScanDisk had always operated until recently when the following error message with Scandskw.exe was received; "Scandskw has caused an error in SHELL.DLL. Scandskw will now close."
    Action Taken: Restarted computer several times. Notified Dell Tech. Support, their email was not specific to my problem. I was able to run ScanDisk from start-up floppy, however, ScanDisk will not run from Windows.

I have considered re-installing ME but CD-ROM supplied by Dell requires start-up configuration to be changed to boot from CD-Rom (drive E) not drive A. Book says to contact Dell Tech. Support toll free for instructions (a joke).

Question 1: Is there an easy way to fix scandsk.exe without re-installin ME?
    Question 2: How do I access the menu at startup which allows drive configuration changes?

I have Ad-Aware software in this computer. Could this have damaged this file? I checked the Archives and didn't see any indication.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Drop down to safe mode and scan from there. :cool: :)
    If you need to know how:
    Restart your computer wait until you see the text "Starting Windowsme and then press F8.

Once at the Windows 98or as in your case winme Startup Menu select the Safe Mode option and press Enter.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  3. msperry

msperry Private E-2

My DiskScan Problem

Thanks!
    I assume from your answer that to restore DiscScan to it's original operation I would need to re-install WinME. To do this (the second part of my question): How do I enter the configuration settings? With '95 and '98 I could hit a specified "F" key before Windows loaded. I don't see that with ME.

4. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

Also to run scandisk in safe mode will sometimes end the problem.

5. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

6. msperry

msperry Private E-2

I will try the site you indicated! I tried to enter Safe Mode using both F8 and Ctrl keys. No luck! I get a DOS screen indicating various drives, cpu, and memory. No options of other "F" keys to get other menus. To read this dos screen I need to hit the Pause/Break key. If I just hold down either F8 or Ctrl it just continues on to Windows log on and normal windows.

7. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Before taking the drastic step of re-installation i would consider replacing the scandisk.exe with a new one from your Windows CD

To save me typing please follow the instructions listed here
    http://www.woollin.com/PC/system_files.htm

Take your time read through it carefully and its fairly easy ;)

Let us know how that works out

8. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Windows ME- Hold down the control key throughout start-up, you will get a screen with startup options. Chose safe mode (usually #3) and push enter. :)

9. msperry

msperry Private E-2

ScanDisk Problem

Thanks for the input. Tried site, however, extracting file information requires "System File Checker" which is not available in Win ME. This works with Win 98 but not ME.

I'm beginning to be very unhappy with ME.

10. msperry

msperry Private E-2

ScanDisk Problem

Thanks, but I have tried that and I don't receive any option for Safe Mode. I believe there is more than just a ScanDisk problem with my Win ME!

11. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Not going to argue against that line but do check this out
    Windows ME
    The utility "SFC" (System File Checker) does not exist in Windows ME.

The correct procedure to restore the file SULFNBK.EXE is as follows:

1.) Insert the Windows ME Installation CD. Cancel the Setup program if it starts.

2.) Open MY COMPUTER. Right click on the CD-ROM drive that contains the WinME installation CD and select "Explore."

3.) Open the "Win9X" folder, and locate the file "PRECOPY1.CAB." Double click this file to open it.*

4.) Locate the file SULFNBK.EXE in this .CAB file. Right click on it and select "Extract."

5.) In the "Browse for Folder" dialog box, locate the "COMMAND" subdirectory in your Windows directory, e.g., "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND."

6.) Click "OK" to extract the file.

Note: This procedure MAY NOT work if support for compressed folders is not installed in the Windows setup tab under "Add/Remove Software" in the Control Panel.

12. msperry

msperry Private E-2

13. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

I 'm gona do some digging for ya,By the way your Winme cd is this a original cd or a quick restore cd

14. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Ok try this method
    Here is how to restore SULFNBK.EXE on Windows ME:

1. Go to Start --> Run.

2. Type MSCONFIG and hit enter.

3. Click on the "Extract File ..." button.

4. In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SULFNBK.EXE and then click on "Start"

5. On the next screen, you'll see a "Restore from" box. Type in the path to your Windows CAB files (usually C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS).

If you can't find the CAB files on your computer, insert your Windows ME CD and then type *\WinME, replacing * with the drive letter for your CD-ROM drive. For example, if your CD-ROM is your D drive, you would type D:\WinME

If you can't find either the CAB files or your Windows ME CD, as silly as this sounds the best way for you to restore SULFNBK.EXE is to borrow someone else's Windows ME CD for a few minutes and to extract the file from that disk.
    6. Click the OK button. :cool:

15. msperry

msperry Private E-2

First you asked if my cd was an original Windows ME or a "quick restore" version. It is the disk Dell supplied titled "For the reinstallation of Windows Me". As I previously stated, the SULFNBK.EXE was located on the disk. It also indicated, when I extracted it, that it was already installed in Windows. I extracted and replaced the existing file but unable to make it run using the RUN function. RUN says the file is missing (which I don't think it is). There are other "strange" things also going on. Examples; (1) I can't get the screen (using Ctrl at start-up) to let me enter the "Safe Mode". (2) Using Start, Search, For Files or Folders, it doesn't seem to matter what file name I use, with or without wildcard (*), the search yields every file and folder in drive C. I used this function many times in the past and it never did this before! I believe it's time to reinstall Windows ME, however, the Dell instructions warn to only do this by changing my boot drive from "A" to "E" (my CD ROM drive) and boot from the Reinstallation disk. As I stated, I can't get into that screen using either the F key or Ctrl key. What's your advise?

16. General_Lee_Stoned

To use your Dell recovery CD you dont need to enter safe mode, you need to access your BIOS to set your boot order
    Generally on a DEll this would be either F2 or DEL, you need to repeatedly press the correct key as soon as you power on your machine
    Do you still have your manual, check in there for information on how to access the BIOS

17. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Tried the Delete key and was able to gain access to Bios and boot information. Thanks! Now all I need to do is gain courage to reinstall windows. I shouldn't need to back-up my files since all files are on drive D. Windows and all programs are on drive C. I assume the reinstallation disk will walk me through a step by step procedure (I hope).
    I have found Win Me to be very unpredictable with many crashes and lost functions. I use up-dated Norton Anti-Virus so I don't suspect virus problems as the culprit. In the future, would you recommend me buying Win XP upgrade?

18. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

19. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Thanks, I went to the recommended web page and printed it out. It states, near the end of reinstallation to, "Make sure you reinstall the Intel Chip Set Update Utility driver before you reinstall any other drivers." (Q-1) What and where are these Intel Chip Set Update Utility driver? I looked through the cd's provided by Dell, I don't think it's in there. (Q-2) When Win Me is reinstalled, do I loose all my existing drivers?

20. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Just ignore that your recovery disk will install your drivers.After your install is gfinished you can update your drivers if needed later. :) :cool:

21. General_Lee_Stoned

22. msperry

msperry Private E-2

The information on reinstalling WinMe went well. I do have two questions/problems:
    (1) Now when Windows boots I get a larger log-on screen which is titled "Network Password" instead of "Windows Password". The Dell Help screen says to simply hit cancel and this screen will not return. Wrong! I always get the Network screen. Everything seems ok but I would like the old password screen.
    (2) As prior to reloading WinMe, the "Safe Mode" is not available. I have tried screen using Ctrl at power up, no "F" key options are provided. The Bios screens (using the Del key) don't seem to provide a Safe Mode. The Start Up disk does show a Safe Mode option #, but when pressed I get the A drive prompt only.

Thanks for your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds