Scanner driver issue with Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by mickeblue, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

I find it hard to believe that if a system can recognize a piece of hardware, and it shows up in the device manager and its' software shows up in the program folder, that it wouldn't be possible to provide working drivers for it, but on their website Trust say that their Webscan 19200 is only compatible with older systems... do they imagine I would rush out and buy another of their products if they don't provide continued support for them?

Anyone got any ideas on how to work around this one? Is there such a thing as a universal scanner driver out there, or a piece of software that will kick start the hardware regardless of manufacturer?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you tried Compatability Mode for the Scanners software (say XP SP2/3) to see if it works, also in some cases right click the shortcut and choose properties then Compatability tab and at the bottom tick the "run this program as an administrator"

Sadly many hardware makers do not update drivers for newer OSes and as yo umention would rather you buy new hardware, I know a reletive of mine has just had to update printer and scanner to allow the use of these items in Windows 7.

Could give VueScan a try (its retail but has a trial period) to see if that helps.

3. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Thanks Halo, I guess I was hoping for too much in this throw away world of ours... crazy though isn't it? A perfectly good scanner lying on the shelf doing nothing. My friends don't understand why I can wax lyrical about the fridge in my utility room ~ because it's 17 years old that's why... the oldest piece of electrical equipment I have that still functions... and it doesn't ask for ruddy updates!

I'll give VueScan a try, and let you know if it works. :major

4. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Ego exertus , is officina , nusquam... VueScan needs the appropriate drivers in order to use the Twain aquire facility.

Anyone know an app that will open a dll file? Maybe I could edit it myself.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not used this myself as programming is not my thing, but this may do what you wish http://sourceforge.net/projects/exetoc/

6. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Nor mine Halo, but I'm willing to look into dark places :) I'll give it a whirl.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds