Scanning email attachments for virus's

Discussion in 'Software' started by trowter, Jan 26, 2005.

1. trowter

trowter Private First Class

Does anybody know how to scan email attachment for viruses before you open them. I got the weirdest email today, saying only "Before use read the help" and then it had the attachment. I would delete it, except I really am expecting an email, and I don't know where it will come from.
    My anti-virus is McAfee and I use outlook express for my email...
    Thanks

2. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

I save the attachment and scan it individually. That works for me, but I don't keep up with the latest, so maybe that's a no-no now.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Mcafee should scan email, check your options, otherwise try Avast or AVG, 2 free anti virus programs you can download here that both email scan inbound and outbound.

4. trowter

Thanks for your help...Since I got my computer in August you guys have helped me out more than once with my stupidity. I really appreciate it. You run an invaluable service here
    Thanks again
    Tanya

5. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

That email is spam laden with the W32.Beagle virus. Just got it myself.

6. trowter

Thanks Freddy...I deleted it last night without opening the attachment, but somehow I got the virus anyway.
    Does anybody know what I did?

7. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Are you sure you were infected by the virus? The one that was sent to me was an .cpl executable. Getiing the email doesn't mean you got the virus, esp if you didn't open the attachment.

8. trowter

I just talked to my husband, and he said it showed up on McAfee virus scan this morning when he did a virus scan..He quarentined it, so hopefully no damage was done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds