Scheduled disconnections?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redclanger, Aug 17, 2009.

1. redclanger

redclanger Private E-2

Hi

Is there anyway of scheduling automatic disconnections and reconnections from a network. I am having probelms with one of my children surfing the internet all night and then sleeping all day. I am not after any sort of net nanny or web filtering.

The computer in question runs Vista Home and connects to the network wirelessly.

Thanks

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Should be an access restriction option in the router configuration pages. Which specific router model and version are you using?
    However, if the comp is wireless, other wireless signals in the area could be used if they do not have security enabled on them.
    Also, your router would need to be password protected so the child can't access the router configuration and change the settings.
    Are there other comps available to be used? These may need to be restricted also.
    (There is also the "Your house, your rules" option.)

3. redclanger

redclanger Private E-2

Thanks for your reply.

The 'My house, my rules' option has been tried and failed. I even put a timer switch on the wireless router as a 'reminder' - it got removed. My router is a D-Link VWR and I have had a look and cannot see anything that can be done automatically. We are not in a position to just switch it off before bed as these can be erratic on our part - sometimes way too early. If this is the only option then I will do this as it is her that has breached to trust.

4. Wireless or wired connection?

If it's wired, just take away the Cat5 (Ethernet/network) cable at night? :)

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'm old school and this is anti-geek (and this is not a parenting forum) but

Breach of trust = loss of computer/privilege

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds