Screen going black - Light on Monitor stays Green

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TsunamiDream, Dec 8, 2006.

1. TsunamiDream

TsunamiDream Private E-2

Hello,

I am having quite a problem with my computer:

After a while of idling, or in the middle of a game, the screen will go black, but the light on the monitor stays green, indicating there still is a signal.. i think. This is on my 21' CRT. So i tried another monitor, an LCD , while this is happening (the green light no picture business), and i get the message 'Mode not supported'. I see the video card fan is still going, and I'm really not sure what is wrong.

Also, sometimes when i try to turn the computer on it won't react... but a few mins later as if by magic it turns on by itself.

If you could help me out that would be most excellent, the computer i am on now has Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard video, and it is painful to play any decent game on it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sounds like your video card is going out, or not getting enough power. Check your PSU, maybe try reinstalling the video card drivers.

I had a simular problem, my monitor would go blank on about the 3rd 3d Mark test, then several minutes later my score would pop up on the screen and I could see my desktop. Got a new GPU, everything is working fine.

Good luck, hopefully someone else will have some more infor for you.

E

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You might want to download a program called Everest from Major Geeks Link http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181 Then report your voltages back here, they should not deviate more than 0.25 Volts from stated voltages. The reason I ask this is it really sounds more like a P.ower S.upply U.nit problem................Oh and Welcome to Major Geeks

4. TsunamiDream

TsunamiDream Private E-2

Thank you for the welcome! and the response. :)

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.26 V
    +2.5 V 1.95 V
    +3.3 V 3.28 V
    +5 V 4.92 V
    +12 V 12.10 V
    +5 V Standby 3.14 V
    VBAT Battery 3.01 V

I hope these are the correct ones, i had to look relatively quickly before the video shut off

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yea your +2.5V line is below par should be no less that 2.25, and given your symptoms I would suggest a PSU swap, there cheap, easy to replace, usually the first thing to go, and handy to have a spare one..............So for all those reasons that is what I would replace

6. TsunamiDream

TsunamiDream Private E-2

I think i will probably go with your recommendation.

These are my specs:
    Antec 480w Power Supply
    Intel Pentium D 2.8, 2.81 GHZ CPU
    Asus Geforce 6800 video card - PCI-E
    Gigabyte GA-8N-SLi Royal motherboard
    2 GB RAM
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2

is this system's setup possibly a reason for why my PSU (Antec NEO480 480w) failed after about a year?

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Antec's make great PSU's dont think that is were your problem is, its with the Wattage the Antec puts out, from my googling you require a minimum of 530 watts for you configuration. Just need a "larger" PSU, your one year old Antec is perfectly fine for a lighter load. Hope that helps you

8. TsunamiDream

TsunamiDream Private E-2

This is interesting news indeed, I have been using the computer for a little over a year and these issues have only recently started. My next step would be to get a bigger supply after the weekend and I'll definitely report back on the health of my PC. :cool:

Thank you very much for your help.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for posting BC! I try to help, but the real experts here show up and give the best info.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds