Screen not appearing, install new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lucky_charms, Mar 1, 2006.

1. lucky_charms

lucky_charms Private E-2

Hi, I am having a problem with my computer. I have an Aptiva 2153 E2U with Windows 98 and an onboard video card. The screen is not appearing, even though the computer turns on, the lights are all on and the fan is running. I assume this is a video card problem. I went to buy PCI video card by GeForce MX 4000 128 MB. I installed the card in the new PCI slot but the screen doesn't turn on. I think I have to disable the onboard video card first before I install the new one. The problem is the onboard video card is not working because the screen isn't appearing so I can't see anything or go into BIOS to disable it. I know the computer works as the screen does turn on randomly but very rarely. Please let me know if I can physically disable the onboard video card or if there's another way for this. Thanks!

Camila

2. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

You've got the answer. Yes you need to set primary video controller as "Auto " in BIOS

Let the Video Card be installed on the slot
    Unplug the Monitor from the Card and plug it into the Integrated Video Card
    Then enter BIOS
    Change the Primary Video Controller as Auto.
    Save and exit,
    Then plug the Monitor to the PCI Video Card, you should be having display
    Then Install the Drivers for the new card
    you should be good from there on !

3. lucky_charms

lucky_charms Private E-2

Hi, the screen won't appear on the integrated video card, that's the reason I'm installing the new video card and can't get into the BIOS. Please let me know if I can get by this

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds