Screen saver lock

Discussion in 'Software' started by roboman123, Jan 27, 2009.

1. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I don't know if this belongs in the software section or malware.

I'm using Windows XP and lately whenever the screen saver is enabled, it locks up the screen. I can enter the password to unlock the screen saver, but then I cannot do anything with the screen. I have to log the user out or reboot the machine.

I have run SpyBot and found nothing. As far as I know, nothing was changed in the registry.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Firstly is it just the standard Windows XP screensavers you are using, or something else you have downloaded and/or installed?

3. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I've been downloading files from BitTorrent, but I use Avast Anti Virus, SpyBot and BoClean for malware, and COMODO firewall on my computer. I update everything at least weekly. There was nothing found in all the scans.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

When you use a standard screensaver that came with Windows does it still do it?

5. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I'm using Windows XP and it is the standard blank screen saver. The problem is that when I enable the password function and try to log back in after it has locked, I cannot do anything on the screen. I've disabled the password function and it is working nominally for now.

When I select other screen saver options with the password enabled, it works okay.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

By "other screen saver options" do you mean different screensavers other than the blank one?

I'm trying to determine if this is a malware issue and if so you will need to work through the Read and Run Me First link

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are there other users on this machine and do you have the same problem when logged in to a different account?

8. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I am the only user on the system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds