Screen saver won't run

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jun 22, 2013.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

No screensaver will run on my laptop, which is an Acer Aspire 5920 running Windows Vista HP SP2. All I get when I try any of my screensavers is the following error message:

I don't understand the message plus none of them are new so I can't understand why anything on the PC should be too old for them to work.

Please can you advise (1) what the problem might be and (2) what should I do to resolve it?

2. CJR19751

CJR19751 Private E-2

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you can give your model number which is located at the bottom of the laptop

http://www.hplaptoprepair.co.uk/acatalog/Acer_model_number.JPG

also you have to go to Start - Run mmc devmgmt.msc - ok to inspect if any ? is existing , either your driver is corrupt or your graphic card is faulty i think :wave

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know that it makes any difference, but CJR1957 and falconattack both give UK links. If you're located in the U.S., here's the U.S. driver page.

According to the Acer spec sheet for the model, both the video and sound are integrated Intel chipset products. If the driver re-installation doesn't work, it's quite possible the chipset has become defective.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hello CJR19751

Is there an alternative name for 'video card drivers'? I've had a look in Device Manager and the only thing I see in the list that I think might be the same thing is display adapters? I've checked and the software for them is up-to-date.

I'm only having a problem with my screensavers. Nothing else on my PC seems to have an issue. If my video card drivers needed updating wouldn't other things on my PC be faulty? I'm asking because I simply don't know.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I don't know why, but about 5 minutes ago my screensaver started working. Perhaps the gremlins have moved out.:confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds