Screwed up, anyway to start over?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kwyjibo, Jan 7, 2004.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

I just got Comcast Cable internet, and I'm using a Belkin router to give the connection to two computers. Anyway, at first everything was fine, but then I attempted to make a network where I could share files between them. Well, the "host" computer, the one orgininally connected, has XP, and the other has 98SE, so I ran into some trouble. Now, everything is screwed up. The second computer used to be always connected to the internet, now is only connected when the XP computer is on.

Is there a way for me to reset my network settings, or remove any networks I've created, and start over?

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

First try to go over the settings manually.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions in Network Setting and Sharing.

Link to: Installing & Sharing]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

If you want the 98 to be able to get files from the xp, the xp's hard drive has to use the fat32 format. If it doesn't, the 98 won't be able to read from the hard drive, but the xp will be able to read from the 98's. Also, make sure your internet connection is plugged into the router, not the xp computer.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nonono.

Filesystem type is transparent over a network. You can have XP on NTFS on one machine, and 98 can see its shares just fine.

5. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

Right there is my main problem. The original computer, the XP one, is connected to the router, and is listed under the DHCP client list. However, the 98 computer isn't connecting directly to the router, just intercepting the encrypted signal, since I have it broadcast the SSID.

BTW, I am using a Belkin Wireless router, model F5D6321-4. I've e-mailed their support website for help, but I still haven't recieved any reply.

6. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

It never worked like that for me... must have been the configuration.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds