SCREWED UP - Deleted Spooler Reg Key & Sub Key - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Debelli, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Debelli

Debelli Private E-2

I've had trouble with my lexmark printer and tried everything and anything I could find to fix it looking for answers via the web. The last thing I saw, and did, was delete the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

and the subkey

DEPENDS ON SERVICE

Well, after doing THAT and not knowing that I should have backed up anything, I gave up. :banghead Then I found another exact same printer used and bought that (glutten for punishment, I know, but I have lots of ink cartridges, and they're expensive!)

NOW, when I try to reinstall the printer I can't.:cry

My computer skills are as bad as my cooking skills and I need help if anyone can guide me in plain simple English (hard to find in Miami these days, plain simple English, that is!)

Can I manually put this line back in the registry? Can it be put back at all? I searched on my computer and it seems it just disappeared - there's no trace of it. Nothing in the services file, I checked. And here I thought it would just go to the recycle bin - stupid me!

I think I have the CD'S for XP if needed, but if I have to go that route, will it wipe out my existing files I have? No back up - oh, I do have a HD backup but no one has taken a few minutes to tell me how to use it.

Tried doing a system restore - picked different dates, nothing worked - even tried in SAFE MODE, says it can't restore. Also tried doing last known good something or other in safe mode, no help.

Was suggested by someone else that I copy and save a file as a text file as XXXX.reg and then click on the file with all the codes, did as instructed and got the following when I clicked on it:

Are you sure you want to add the information in C:Doc...to the registry. Put yes, then I got this message:

REGISTRY EDITOR

The specific file is not a registry script. You can only import binery registry files from within the registry editor:huh:

So, at this point, besides bitching :mad in an empty room where no one can hear me, can anyone help tell me how to get this key and sub key back in my computer so I can install this stinking printer and get printing again.

I'm running WINDOWS XP SP1 (tried doing 2 and it screwed up my system, so had to revert back)

Please be gentle, not only am I female, but CLUELESS about this tech stuff!:eek:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

First try this.
    Go to start, run, type in
    sfc /scannow, and put your XP disc in the cd/dvd rom drive.
    Note the space after sfc.
    Asmall window will pop up and a blue line will start to run across .
    It will be necessary to sit there and keep clicking the retry button, that comes up. This can take some time, but what it does is look for missing Windows files, and replacing from your cd.
    Come back and let us know, if you need more help, and to let us know the result.
    You will not lose any data.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds