Script error in Yahoo messenger

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Jun 25, 2006.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Trying to install Yahoo messenger 7.5 on my mother in laws machine, and after I get it installed and log in and all that stuff...when I double click on one of the contacts in order to start a chat box, I get the following error...

An error has occured in the script on this page

Line: 2411
    Char: 24
    Error: Unexpected Quantifier
    Code: 0
    Url: File://C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\tmp2a.tmp

Then it ask if I want continue to run scripts on this page, and I click on yes or no acouple of times (depending the mood at the moment) but it will then open up the chat box but when I type or recieve anything, it doesn't show up in the chat box.

I have done everything on the Yahoo help site, with the security settings and all...I've registered the urlmon.dll in the run cmd box, I've reinstalled both yahoo messenger and sun java both two or three times each, I've cleaned out the temp folder...and I can't seem to get it to go away!!!!

The only googling that is identical to my problem is under the experts exchange forum, and as we all know...you have to pay for membership to view the replies!!

BTW...it is a brand new clean install of 2000 SP4.

Roger

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try this,

Start > Run > type in each line and click OK:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll

Steve

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Thanks Steve, but...in the meantime, I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the Microsoft Windows Scripting engine (currently version 5.6) from their website, and it appears to have fixed it...it is all going good so far!!

Roger

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal Rog. :)

Steve

5. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

I have a Yahoo prob also might be related to this:
    Everytime i right click in the taskbar and on the Yahoo icon Yahoo messenger automatically logs out and closes.
    Might this be a similar error?

6. djtx

djtx Private E-2

I just loaded Yahooo IM 8 and get the same issue.
    I can see someone is IM'ing me and they can see my message when I send it back. But I can never see their message on the screen

When I click on a name to send and IM I get
    "An Error has occured in the script on this page"
    line 2416
    char: 24
    error: unexpected quantifier
    code:0
    url:c:\....tmp7.tmp
    Do you want to continue running scripts on this page.

If I do either of them then I can send a message and they get it but I don't see anything when they send IM's back.

I have reset my IE6 SP1 security to default settings. All Scripting is turned on on the advanced tab. (even tried setting everything to low)

I have reregisterd all DLLs that people have mentioned in the posts.

I have IE6 with 2000 SP4 and all the security is up to date. I have installed .Net 1.1 and the service packs that go with it.

Some history on the system. I got a spyware, virus attack and had to restore from the emergency disk. So I think it is some DLL that may not be working or a security setting.

Also, when using Microsoft Live Mail or Google mail it won't display either.

7. djtx

djtx Private E-2

All, I re-read the posts and decided to try the microsoft script engine.
    That seems to have been what broke. As soon as I installed it google mail, MS Live mail and Yahoo IM 8 all started working properly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds