Scroll bar is automatically moving up and jerking the pages

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraMistretta30, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraMistretta30

LauraMistretta30 Private E-2

It doesn't matter what website I'm viewing, when I try to scroll down to view the bottom of the page the entire page jerks up and down along with the scroll bar. This just started happening yesterday. I recently reinstalled a new hard drive a week ago, but this annoying issue just started. As I type this, the page is moving up and down. Does anyone have a clue why this may be happening?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you have not already updated your Graphics Card Drivers do so as they are one of the normal causes for jerky pages.

3. LauraMistretta30

I have no clue how to do that. I received everything on disks from Dell and reinstalled them one by one. The only drivers I downloaded were on the dell website, which were drivers to re-install the OS.

Is it possible it's something other than drivers? It's just acting freaky so I thought it was a virus, but I have Norton running and did ad-ware to remove some junk. It' still doing it. :eek:

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

It doesn't sound like malware, in basic terms: without the correct drivers your graphics card will use some basic one which have a hard time 'drawing' the page on your screen smoothly.

If you visit Dells page they will have a drivers section where you can type in your computer model or serial number and it will give you a list of the drivers you require. Just find the one for you graphics card probably called something like gfx driver or display dirver or possibly just graphics card driver, download it and install.

5. w1569

w1569 Private E-2

I had this same problem -the scrollbar moving up and down by itself jerking the page up and down-and literally I was CHASING FOLDERS that ran OFF THE SCREEN !!!VERY AGGRAVATTING!!!!!...and discovered it was my "microsoft" cordless mouse-it may be the drivers- -I didn't get that far I just changed my mouse-but even if you do not have a cordless- try a simple switching mice and rebooting....won't take a sec and may solve your problems...worth a quick try anyway... : ))))

Oh BTW-if you do have a mouse that has installed software..you could try uninstalling it and just install the drivers to get that particular mouse to work-(most are plug n play now anyway)- with out the shakey scroll bar(this was suggested to me-haven't tried)..

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I'd still recommend trying the graphics drivers first, if that doesn't work by all means try w1569's suggestion.

@w1569 can I suggest a different font colour next time... that one hurts my eyes ;)

7. LauraMistretta30

Thanks for the replys guys. I went away for a few hours and now I'm back and it's not happening. I also noticed that it was only happening sporadically. I went to the dell website and put in my tag/serial # and it came up with 25+ driver downloads. I wouldn't have any idea which to use without calling Dell, which I probably will have to do if I try the mouse swap doesn't work. :rolleyes:

8. w1569

w1569 Private E-2

Hope this font colour is better-kinda expiridementing -and you are right the YELLOW is a bit bold against the board colours
    :eek:-sorry-just curious if the mouse swap worked-but definetly try the graphics first LOL....

9. w1569

w1569 Private E-2

OBTW-mine did the same-at first was okay then would start again ....know what you are going through-man it will DRIVE YOU NUTTSSSSS.....
    :mad:..good luck again and let us know what worked.... : )))

10. DavidGP

Laura, what is your Model and version of DELL pc or just link us to the page at Dell your looking at and we can advise. ( Please dont post any serial number )

And while your at it download this app Everest Free and once installed run it and goto Computer and Summary and post what it says next to Display Adapter, just so we can double check the correct one.

11. LauraMistretta30

Halo, here is the page for the display driver downloads. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with XP Home Edition.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4700&os=WW1&osl=EN#

I just went into my device manager and saw that I have ? and ! next to these things:

Under "Other devices" I have Multimedia Audio Controller with a yellow ?!
    and PCI Input device with a yellow ?!

Under display adapters it says "Radeon X300 series" is working properly. When I click on it showing "device type, manufacturer and location" I see that the location is "PCI Bus" so it looks like those ?? have something to do with my problem.

When I click "re-install driver" it looks for hardware but comes back with "wizard cannot find the necessary software. Oye again....

12. DavidGP

Ah ok, great.. first off did you after the re-install, install the Chipset Drivers?

If not do so and they are located under Chipset at that link you supplied, then install the Audio Drivers and let us know if they are any yellow ! or ? marks still?

13. suresh_speaks

suresh_speaks Private E-2

Hi

Even im facing the same problem my scroll bar moves up and down and jerks like evil i need to chase the folders to click on and while reading the docs its even horrible need to gogly my eyes to read anything please suggest some tips to make it stop jerking its really annoying

14. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Suresh,

Welcome to MG.

But could you please start a new thread of your own rather than tack your question onto the back of an old one. ;)

And if you've got a wheel mouse make sure the wheel on top hasn't been accidently clicked as that will give the efffect you mention.

15. suresh_speaks

suresh_speaks Private E-2

Yargwel

Im new to this forum i Dont know how to create Thread here i tried doing it, well i have optical mouse and not the wheel one the whole system is bought just 2 months back, no clue what has happened all of a sudden it started jerking its tooooo Annoying to see :major do u have any suggestions, i was googling for the problem and saw this page posting the problem as me but did not see the exactly what we need to do to get rid of the scroll bar jerk,

16. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

To create a new thread go to the top of the first page of the forum you have chosen to post in and just click on the new thread button. ;)

When you start a new thread state exactly what your problem is and also
    what you have tried to cure the problem so far.

Read this first: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31333

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds