Scrolling mouse

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I recenly blew up my mobo on my old Toshiba laptop. I replaced my old laptop with a refurbished Toshiba Satellite Pro P100 still running XP SP3.

I used a recent full backup to set up my Satellite Pro. There are still a few niggles that I would like to solve.

First one:

I am using the DELL corded mouse from my old laptop ( which worked perfectly ) but it refuses to scroll more than one line at a time. Very annoying and very slow. I have checked out "Mouse" in Control panel and googled but not much help in either.

Would appreciate some help. :cool

Bazza

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. bigbazza

Thanks plastidust and plodr for the tips. I downloaded TweakUI and installed it. Fiddled withe settings, but no difference as yet.

Bazza

5. bigbazza

Just to clarify what I am trying to fix.

I am trying to alter the scrolling speed, in MG threads for example, of the up and down arrows on the far right of the screen so I can check out the threads quicker.

I am using the left mouse button only (never the middle wheel) and I keep the left button depressed to speed through the threads.

Hope this explains my problem better.

Bazza

6. plastidust

Ahh... did I ever misread that one:-o Don't know how to change the scroll speed in Opera. But if you place the mouse cursor just above the scrollbar arrow at the bottom or just below the scrollbar arrow at the top and then just tap the left mouse button, the page will scroll pretty fast. That's probably not what you had in mind but it will definatly speed up the page scrolling. That will work on any scrollbar in any program as far as I know.

Attached Files:

7. bigbazza

You are correct. It sure does scroll fast. :-D
    Not what I was after :cry but sure a lot quicker. :-D:-D
    I would still like to get back to my old scrolling method, if possible

Thanks again,

Bazza

===

8. plastidust

The only thing I can think of to try is:

1) in Opera's "Preferences" > Advanced > Browsing, make sure "Smooth scrolling" is un-checked.

2) in Windows "Display Properties" > Appearance > Effects, make sure the "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips:" is un-checked.

I don't know if those will make any difference or not. I've read some where that it does but I haven't noticed. Usually, I just grab the scrollbar button and drag one way or the other. I know, it's a pita on long pages. Does this happen just with Opera but not in other browsers or is it system wide?

One other thought, if you have "Opera Turbo" activated, try turning that off.

9. bigbazza

Thanks again, plastidust. :major

Un-checking "Smooth scrolling" in Opera has sped up scrolling when you click on the rectangle that moves up and down on the right of screen. However mouse (and holding down the left mouse button) clicking on the up and down arrows still results in a one line at a time scrolling. :cry

Where do I find "Opera Turbo" and Windows "Display Properties" > Appearance > Effects in Opera and Windows, respectively? :confused

It happens systemwide, when I try to scroll through C:\Downloads and C:\My Documents for example

I really appreciate your tips.:cool

Bazza

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. bigbazza

Scrolling works fine in my email. :confused
    I use www.gmx.com for my email. Just tried that now. I have to use Firefox for gmx.com to work.

Bazza

11. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Did you install the mouse software (including driver) that goes with the Dell mouse?

Typically mouse control for scrolling is made via the Control Panel and the software may install a tabbed panel with scroll options.

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What version of Opera are you using? Older versions didn't have Turbo.

13. bigbazza

No, I did not install Dell mouse software. Scrolling worked perfectly in old laptop before it blew up.

Bazza

===

14. bigbazza

Thanks hrlow2. I am using an old version (9.25) as I prefer this version
    Once again as in my previous reply, all worked perfectly in old laptop until it blew up. :cry

Bazza

===

15. plastidust

Thanks hrlow2, I forgot(I'm feeble minded) "Turbo" is a recent addition. Don't think it showed up until Opera 10.

Think Maxwell may be on to something. Try going to:

Administative Tools > Computer Management > Device Manager, in the right window pane dbl. click on "Mice and other pointing devices", right click on the mouse type that shows up, in the context menu click properties, click on the "Advanced Settings" tab.

Hopefully it will look something like the attached thumbnail and there will be a "Sample Rate" item. If there is, try setting it as high as it will go. Also make sure "Fast Initialization" is checked. If you have to change any thing make sure to "OK" your way out, at which time Windows will want to re-boot for the changes to take effect.

Something else that may be affecting your "niggle" is the graphics acceleration settings. At the moment, I'm having trouble finding where to config or change this setting.

Attached Files:

16. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

You need compatible software for the mouse before you can take advantage of the mouse's capability.

For example Microsoft Intellipoint mouse has a scroll wheel control section - see attached picture.

Other mouse software also has similar scroll wheel settings (e.g., allowing scrolling wheel to scroll 1 page or n pages or even 3 lines or n lines) but only if the correct software (mouse driver and/or mouse software) is installed.

Looking at the Dell web site there are a number of mouse drivers and mouse software. What Dell mouse do you have?
    What this also means that your old laptop had the software installed.

I doubt post 15 will help as it is looking at the mouse pointer sensitivity settings not the scroll wheel, e.g., the sample rate of the optics usually measured in DPI (dots per inch) or CPI (counts per inch).

Attached Files:

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Surely, you have the option in mouse settings panel to set the number of lines scrolled by rolling one notch of the scroll wheel. For example:

Attached Files:

18. plastidust

Maxwell, agree with your above post whole heartedly, especially about needing the correct software/drivers for the mouse. I gathered from post #5 though, that he is not using the scroll wheel. So, didn't see any point in trying to configure the action of the scroll wheel.

Bazza, finally found where to configure Hardware acceleration:

In "Display Properties" > "Settings" tab > "Advanced" button > "Troubleshoot" tab

I would think that Hardware acceleration should be set to full unless it causes problems for some reason.

Attached Files:

19. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Hardware acceleration has nothing to do with this. The number of lines scrolled per a notch of turning of a mouse wheel is a specific setting, as illustrated in the screen print I posted.

20. plastidust

I don't believe changing the wheel settings will have an effect in this situation. I do agree that he should have the proper software/drivers for the particular mouse installed so he can take full advantage of the mouse. And be able to configure it properly according to his liking.

21. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Sure, it will. His first post implies that he would like to use the mouse wheel to scroll but moving the wheel one notch only advances the page by one line. Thus, out of frustation, he does not use it. Instead, he holds the left button down, while hoving over the scroll bar, and drags the scroll bar.

Again, all needs to do to remedy the slow wheel scrolling is to change the setting for this.

22. plastidust

Hope you're right. Then, as you say, the remedy is a simple one. As you can tell I have a different impression.

Too, this little "niggle" may be a manifestation of more than one issue. With a different mother board he may have the wrong vid card drivers loaded in from his back up. Although I would think that would cause much more mayhem, but they may just be out of date for that mother board.

At any rate, hope you're right, maybe then my head will quit hurting and my coffee will quit getting cold:-D

23. plastidust

Bazza, I owe you an apology, I some how managed to completely skip over your question.

To get to the Windows "Display Properties" just right click on a blank area of the desktop, then in the resultant context menu, left click on Properties. Since you're using Opera 9.25, there is no "Turbo" option to enable or disable.

24. bigbazza

Thanks guys for your suggestions. :cool
    I'm going to have to print these out and work my way through them.:major

Some early comments.
    Dell software-----Have never installed it. Never had any software as I bought an old DELL desktop at an auction and used it

Middle wheel on mouse----Have never used it--- Never found any use for it

Loaded FULL backup from old laptop to new laptop when I started using the new laptop.

Will substitute another corded Mouse (MS Wheel Mouse USB version) and see if that makes any difference.

Bazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds